Improving Banner Ad Strategies Through Predictive Modeling
In this study, we apply unique predictive modeling and data mining methods to identify visual and temporal factors that have significant impacts on both the effectiveness and pricing of Internet banner ads. An analysis of 18,956 online advertising records aims to identify the optimal banner advertising strategies for achieving different business metrics, including effective cost per activity (eCPA). Specifically, we find that banner ads with high visual complexity and attractive offers tend to draw users to participate in online activities, while voluntary banner ads with low visual complexity tend to draw user clicks. Further, banner ads with lower visual complexity tend to have lower costs. The size and shape of banner ads also play a key role as larger banner ads are more effective. Finally, we find that the third quarter of a year is the most important period for online advertising campaigns. Advertisers can use the findings from this study to create an effective and cost-efficient banner advertising strategy. Specifically, firms should use larger banner ads with features and offers, advertise at the end of the year, and use caution with banner ad animations as they can significantly increase costs.
KeywordsInternet marketing Banner ads Predictive modeling Visual complexity Video marketing Temporal factors
- Agresti, A. (1996). An introduction to categorical data analysis (Vol. 135). New York, NY: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Chatterjee, P. (2008). Are unclicked ads wasted? Enduring effects of banner and pop-up ad exposures on brand memory and attitudes. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 9(1), 51–61.Google Scholar
- Davenport, T. (2014), A predictive analytics primer. Harvard Business Review. Available at: https://hbr.org/2014/09/a-predictive-analytics-primer (Accessed 20 August 2016).
- Davis, J. (2014), The role of display ads in B-to-B. Marketing News - American Marketing Association. Available at: https://www.ama.org/publications/eNewsletters/B2BMarketing/Pages/beyond-the-banner-the-role-of-display-ads-in-b-to-b.aspx (Accessed 15 December 2015).
- d'Eon, C. E. and Bolt, T.B. (1999). System and method for assessing effectiveness of Internet marketing campaign. U.S. Patent No. 6,006,197. 21 December.Google Scholar
- eMarketer. (2014). The state of digital display 2014: An industry readying itself for brand advertisers. Available at: http://www.emarketer.com/Article/How-Will-2013rsquos-Digital-Display-Trends-Converge-2014/1010613. (Accessed 2 September 2015).
- Friedman, J., Hastie, T., & Tibshirani, R. (2001). The elements of statistical learning (Vol. 1). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Gardiner, B. (2007, August 23). Google seeks “Holy Grail” of cost per action ad pricing. Wired.Google Scholar
- Helft, M. (2007, March 21). Google tests an ad idea: Pay only for results. The New York Times, pp. C3.Google Scholar
- Horowitz, R., Christothoulou, P., Caldwell, E., Keister, J., Korman, W., Lim, Y. and Busby, J. (2004) Online advertising system and method, U.S. Patent Application 10/992,366. 19 November.Google Scholar
- Hu, Y., Shin, J. and Tang, Z. (2012). Performance-based pricing models in online advertising: Cost per click versus cost per action. Unpublished manuscript, Georgia Institute.Google Scholar
- Internet Advertising Bureau (2012) IAB Internet advertising revenue report: 2011 full-year results. Available at: http://www.iab.com/insights/iab-internet-advertising-revenue-report-conducted-by-pricewaterhousecoopers-pwc-2/ (Accessed 15 September 2015).
- Komulainen, R., Nadeem, W., Satokangas, S., & Salo, J. (2013). Rewarding in-game banner ad clicks with tangible incentives. In C. Douligeris, N. Polemi, A. Karantjias, & W. Lamersdorf (Eds.), Collaborative, trusted and privacy-aware e/m-services (pp. 286–297). Berlin, Germany: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McMahan, H. B., Holt, G., Sculley, D., Young, M., Ebner, D., Grady, J., Nie, L., Phillips, T., Davydov, E., Golovin, D., & Chikkerur, S. (2013). Ad click prediction: A view from the trenches. In Proceedings of the 19th ACM SIGKDD international conference on knowledge discovery and data mining in Chicago, IL, 2013 (pp. 1222–1230). New York, NY: ACM.Google Scholar
- PricewaterhouseCoopers (2014), Internet advertising revenue report 2014. Retrieved on available at: http://www.iab.net/research/industry_data_and_landscape/adrevenuereport (Accessed 27 April 2015).
- Sigel, A., Braun, G., & Sena, M. (2008). The impact of banner ad styles on interaction and click-through rates. Issues in Information Systems, 9(2), 337–342.Google Scholar
- Stroup, W. (2012). Generalized linear mixed models: Modern concepts, methods and applications. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.Google Scholar