Minimization of Equivalent Series Resistance of Coupling Coils for Wireless Power Transfer Applications
The paper discusses analytical approach for calculation of equivalent series resistance of coupling coils applicable in wireless power transfer (WPT) systems. It gives an effective method to consider the proximity effect into the coil design and to find minimal possible value of its resulting serial resistance. The proposed approach uses simple linear equations to make the method intuitive and easily adopted. This may help designers to improve the transmitting efficiency of WPT systems due to lower I2R losses generated in windings.
KeywordsEquivalent series resistance Minimization Coil Winding Wireless power transfer
This research has been supported by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic under the RICE – New Technologies and Concepts for Smart Industrial Systems, project No.LO1607 and by funding program of the University of West Bohemia number SGS-2015-038.
- 7.Koscelnik, J., Prazenica, M., Frivaldsky, M., Ondirko, S.: Design and simulation of multi-element resonant LCTLC converter with HF transformer. ELEKTRO (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Piri, M., Jaros, V., Frivaldsky, M.: Verification of a mutual inductance calculation between two helical coils. In: 16th International Scientific Conference on Electric Power Engineering (EPE) (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Koscelnik, J., Frivaldsky, M., Prazenica, M., Mazgut, R.: A review of multi-elements resonant converters topologies. ELEKTRO (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Klontz, K.W., Esser, A., Bacon, R.R., Divan, D.M., Novotny, D.W., Lorenz, R.D.: An electric vehicle charging system with ‘universal’ inductive interface. In: Conference Record of the Power Conversion Conference (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Moon, S., Kim, B.C., Cho, S.Y., Moon, G.W.: Analysis and design of wireless power transfer system with an intermediate coil for high efficiency. In: IEEE ECCE (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Ning, P., Miller, J.M., Onar, O.C., White, C.P., Marlino, L.D.: A compact wireless charging system development. In: Twenty-Eighth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (2013)Google Scholar