High-Speed Electrical Machines: Review of Concepts and Currently Used Solutions with Synchronous Machines with Permanent Magnets
The subject of presented paper is review of currently used high-speed machines with focusing on synchronous machines with permanent magnets and their applications. In the paper are highlighted some special case of use these machines. There is mentioned problems with controlling of these machines and is added the description of changing the type of switching signals. Further are presented some special design arrangements and their comparison with other types of high-speed machines and mentioned their advantages and disadvantages.
KeywordsHigh-speed machines Traction machines Synchronous machines with permanent magnets
This paper has been supported by funding program of the University of West Bohemia No. SGS-2015-038.
- 1.Sulaiman, E., Kosaka, T., Matsui, N.: FEA-based design and parameter optimization study of 6-slot 5-pole PMFSM with field excitation for hybrid electric vehicle. In: IEEE International Conference on Power and Energy, Kuala Lumpur, pp. 206–211 (2010). doi: 10.1109/PECON.2010.5697595
- 2.Fang, H., Qu, R., Li, J., Zheng, P., Fan, X.: Rotor design for a high-speed high-power permanent-magnet synchronous machine. In: IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Montreal, QC, pp. 4405–4412 (2015). doi: 10.1109/ECCE.2015.7310282
- 3.Kong, H., Shi, J., Huang, L., Lu, Q., Ye, Y., Jiang, Z.: Research on single-pulse control of traction PMSM in high speed train based on co-simulation model. In: 17th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), Hangzhou, pp. 2107–2113 (2014). doi: 10.1109/ICEMS.2014.7013833
- 5.Huang, Z., Huang, X., Zhang, J., Fang, Y., Lu, Q.: Design of an interior permanent magnet synchronous traction motor for high speed railway applications. In: 6th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD 2012), Bristol, pp. 1–6 (2012). doi: 10.1049/cp.2012.0253
- 7.Sanada, M., Morimoto, S.: Efficiency improvement at high-speed operation using large air-gap configuration for PMSM. In: 18th International Conference on Electrical Machines, Vilamoura, pp. 1–6 (2008). doi: 10.1109/ICELMACH.2008.4799932
- 8.Epskamp, T., Butz, B., Doppelbauer, M.: Design and analysis of a high-speed induction machine as electric vehicle traction drive. In: 18th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE 2016 ECCE Europe), pp. 1–10 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Richter, E., Ferreira, C.: Performance evaluation of a 250 kW switched reluctance starter generator. In: IEEE Conference Record of the Industry Applications Conference. Thirtieth IAS Annual Meeting, IAS 1995, Orlando, FL, vol. 1, pp. 434–440 (1995). doi: 10.1109/IAS.1995.530332
- 11.Msekela, J.A.N., Materu, P.N., Nzali, A.H.: Development of a homopolar electrical machine for high power density high speed applications. In: 4th IEEE AFRICON, AFRICON, Stellenbosch, vol. 1, pp. 184–187 (1996). doi: 10.1109/AFRCON.1996.563104