Evaluation of Postural Stability During Quiet Standing Using MatLab Software and Promising Parameters
In this paper we describe software and methods for the study of characteristics of postural stability using MatLab software. Proposed methods and software are alternative to specialized software which is part of the cometcial posturography systems that only use established methods. The proposed software allows to determine postural stability of the body, especially during Romberg’s test, on the basis of the recording the movement of center of pressure (CoP). Compared to other commercial software the proposed methods enable us direct use of MatLab toolboxes. Also, the proposed software allows us to calculate the new parameters of postural stability. These parameters ate: turns index, alternate Romberg ratio (torque) angle deviation, mean squared critical displacement, etc. Designed software model and analytical methods could be useable and widely applied in research for example of neurological disorders or musculoskeletal system disabilities. The designed program offering a much wider application than commercial sw.
KeywordsPostural stability Quantitative evaluation Stabilometric platform Centre of pressure
This work was done in the framework of research project SGS16/109/OHK4/1T/17 sponsored by Czech Technical University in Prague. The work presented in this article has also been supported by the Czech Republic Ministry of Defence (University of Defence development program “Research of sensor and control systems to achieve battlefield information superiority”).
- 2.Deepa, S.N., Sivanandam, S.N.: Matlab: With Control System, Signal Processing and Image Processing Toolboxes. Wiley India Pvt Ltd., New Delhi (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Cakrt, O., Vyhnalek, M., Slaby, K., Funda, T., Vuillerme, N., Kolar, P., Jerabek, J.: Balance rehabilitation therapy by tongue electrotactile biofeedback in patients with degenerative cerebellar disease. NeuroRehabilitation 31(4), 429–434 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Khasnis, A., Gokula, R.M.: Romberg’s test. J. Postgrad. Med. 49(2), 169–172 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Kutilek, P., Viteckova, S., Svoboda, Z., Hejda, J.: Application of portable force platforms equipped with a device for measuring position and orientation. Acta Polytech. 53(4), 365–370 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Wollseifen, T.: Different methods of calculating body sway area. Pharm. Program. 4(1–2), 91–106 (2013)Google Scholar