An Automatic PCI Assignment Framework for Femtocells in LTE Networks
Evolving mobile networks are requested to transport an increasing data traffic as a result of popularity of online services together with accessibility of modern mobile devices among people. A solution that can help mobile operators to quickly deploy base stations, ensuring great indoor coverage with minimum costs, and providing high data rate capabilities, poses a femtocell concept. As femtocells are expected to be costumer-deployed in great numbers, they have to be effectively managed and configured. Among parameters that should be automatically configured belong a physical cell identifier, called physical cell identity (PCI). However due to limited range of available PCI values and collisions and/or confusions may occur in the network. In this paper, we propose a centralized automatic PCI configuration scheme for femtocell networks that can integrate algorithms and proposals of other authors as well.
KeywordsSmall cells LTE Physical cell identity SON Femtocells Automated assignment
This research work was supported by the Grant Agency of the Czech Technical University in Prague, grant no. SGS13/199/OHK3/3T/13.
- 1.Networks Strategies. LTE vs ARPU – Data Takes Over. http://www.strategies.nzl.com/wpapers/2013014. Accessed 1 Dec 2013
- 2.Cisco: Cisco visual networking index: global mobile: data traffic forecast update, 2015–2020 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Ericsson: Optimizing the Indoor Experience. Ericsson (2013). https://www.ericsson.com/res/docs/2013/real-performance-indoors.pdf. Accessed 2013
- 6.Small Cells Forum: About Small Cells. Small Cells Forum (2017). http://www.smallcellforum.org/about/about-small-cells/small-cell-definition/. Accessed 24 Apr 2017
- 7.3GPP: 3GPP TR 36.902 V9.3.1 Self-Configuring and Self-Optimizing Network (SON) Use Cases and Solutions (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Sedlacek, M., Bestak, R.: Probability of cell overlapping in femtocell environment. In: Herencsár, N., Molnár, K. (eds.) 36th International Conference on Telecommunications and Signal Processing, Rome, 07-02-2013 – 07-04-2013. IEEE, Piscataway (2013). doi: 10.1109/TSP.2013.6613929
- 9.Sedlacek, M., Bestak, R.: Deployment of femtocells. In: Krivanek, V., Stefek, A. (eds.) ICMT 2013 - Proceedings of the International Conference on Military Technologies. International Conference on Military Technologies, Brno, 05-22-2013 – 05-23-2013, pp. 547–552. Univerzita obrany, Brno (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.3GPP: 3GPP R3-080812 Solution(s) to the 36.902’s Automated Configuration of Physical Cell Identity Use Case (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Bandh, T., et al.: Optimized network configuration parameter assignment based on graph coloring. In: Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS), pp. 40–47. IEEE Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.3GPP: 3GPP R3-080376, SON Use Case: Cell Phy ID Automated Configuration (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, Y., et al.: Graph based automatic centralized PCI assignment in LTE. In: 2010 IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), pp. 919–921. IEEE Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Abdullah, L.M., Baba, M., Ali, S.G.A.: A novel scheme to resolve PCI conflicts and assignment problems in LTE-femtocell networks. In: 2013 IEEE 3rd International Conference on System Engineering and Technology (ICSET), pp. 109–112. IEEE Press (2013)Google Scholar