The Media Syndrome and Reflexive Mediation
Communication and social performances are guided and evaluated in popular culture terms and criteria as our media have become more instant, visual, and personal. The media syndrome (MS) refers to the prevalence of media logic, communication formats, and media content in social life. The media syndrome might include individual personas and identities, social issues, and political actions that are situated in entertainment oriented public and popular culture scenarios. As these experiences and events are shaped by new technologies and formats they become gateways to other mediated events and are a resource for another level of mediated experience. Accordingly, a reflexive mediated culture refers to a second order experience and familiarity with media and information technology. These lenses can be helpful in addressing some contemporary issues.
- Altheide, D. L. (2002). Towards a Mapping of the ‘E’ Audience. In J. A. Kotarba & J. M. Johnson (Eds.), Postmodern existential sociology (pp. 41–62). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Altheide, D. L. (2015). Media logic. In G. Mazzoleni, K. G. Barnhurst, & K. Ikeda (Eds.), The international encyclopedia of political communication (pp. 750–756). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Altheide, D. L. (2016). The media syndrome. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Altheide, D. L., & Snow, R. P. (1979). Media logic. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Bilefsky, D. (2013). Kosovo Attains Status (on Facebook) It Has Sought for Years: Nation. The New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/13/world/europe/kosovo-seeking-recognition-follows-the-crowd-to-facebook-social-media.html.
- Bruni, F. (2016, January 9). Obnoxiousness Is the New Charisma. The New York Times, Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/opinion/sunday/obnoxiousness-is-the-new-charisma.html?_r=0.
- Callimachi, R. (2015). ISIS and the lonely young American. The New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/world/americas/isis-online-recruiting-american.html.
- Carey, J. (1989). Communication as culture: Essays on the media and society. Boston, MA: Unwin Hyman.Google Scholar
- Carter, B. (2013). Real-World Killings Pressure TV Fiction. The New York Times, p. C1. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/arts/television/real-violence-puts-pressure-on-tv-fiction.html.
- Collins, S., & Blake, M. (2013). Ailing networks seek a reversal of fortune. The Los Angeles Times, Retrieved from http://eedition2.latimes.com/Olive/ODE/LATimes/.
- Delo, C. (2013). Digital Set to Surpass TV in Time Spent with U.S. Media. eMarketer, Retrieved from http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Digital-Set-Surpass-TV-Time-Spent-with-US-Media/1010096.
- Glanz, J., Larson, J., & Lehrenjan, A. W. (2014). Spy agencies tap data streaming from phone apps. The New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/world/spy-agencies-scour-phone-apps-for-personal-data.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20140128&_r=0.
- Goodman, A. (2012). In U.N. Address, WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange Urges Obama Admin to End “Regime of Secrecy”. Democracy Now, Retrieved from http://www.democracynow.org/2012/9/27/in_un_address_wikileaks_julian_assange.
- Higgins, A. (2015). Belgium Confronts the Jihadist Danger Within. The New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/25/world/europe/belgium-confronts-the-jihadist-danger-within.html?emc=edit_th_20150125&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=27364645&_r=0.
- Isikoff, M. (2008). The fed who blew the whistle. Newsweek, 152, 40–48.Google Scholar
- Kahn, A. (2015). Becoming Jihadi John: How did Mohammad Emwazi go from a mild youth to Islamic State executioner? Politico, Retrieved from http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/03/mohammad-emwazi-jihadi-john-115865.html#ixzz3ZD6Uwo8P.
- Kington, T. (2014). Internet has the pope’s blessing: Francis says the Web’s ability to bring people together is a ‘gift from God.’ The Los Angeles Times, p. A3. Retrieved from http://eedition2.latimes.com/Olive/ODE/LATimes/.
- Lee, T. B. (2013). Here’s everything we know about PRISM to date. The Washington Post, Retrieved from http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/12/heres-everything-we-know-about-prism-to-date/.
- NBC News. (2013 Dec 29).Google Scholar
- O’Brien, C. (2013). Tech firms begin to see ‘delight’ in a new light. The Los Angeles Times, p. A1. Retrieved from http://eeditionmobile.latimes.com/Olive/Tablet/LATimes/SharedArticle.aspx?href=LAT%2F2013%2F05%2F10&id=Ar00104.
- Pearce, M. (2016). Media Outlet Engulfed by GOP Drama: Media outlet engulfed by GOP drama Breitbart News is feeling fallout from its role in conservatives’ battle over the Trump presidential campaign. The Los Angeles Times, p. A11. Retrieved from http://eedition2.latimes.com/Olive/ODE/LATimes2/.
- Peters, J. W., & Parker, A. (2015). Facing a Selfie Election, Presidential Hopefuls Grin and Bear It. The New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/us/politics/facing-a-selfie-election-presidential-hopefuls-grin-and-bear-it.html?emc=edit_th_20150705&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=27364645&_r=0.
- Priest, D., & Arkin, W. M. (2010). Top secret America | U.S. has built an intel monster, but are we safer? The system put in place to keep the United States safe is so massive that its effectiveness is impossible to determine. The Washington Post, Retrieved from http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2012392005_topsecret19.html.
- Schutz, A. (1967). The phenomenology of the social world. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press.Google Scholar
- Simon, J. (2015). Barack Obama’s press freedom legacy. Columbia Journalism Review, Retrieved from http://www.cjr.org/criticism/barack_obamas_press_freedom_legacy.php.
- Steel, E. (2015 January 4). Investigation discovery network makes crime pay. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/05/business/media/investigation-discovery-network-makes-crime-pay.html.
- Tartaglione, N. (2015). Iran Shutters Paper Over ‘I Am Charlie’ Cover With George Clooney Photo: Reports. Deadline.Hollywood, Retrieved from http://deadline.com/2015/01/iran-shuts-newspaper-george-clooney-1201353171/.
- Tate, J. (2013). Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years in WikiLeaks case. The Washington Post. Retrieved from http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/judge-to-sentence-bradley-manning-today/2013/08/20/85bee184-09d0-11e3-b87c-476db8ac34cd_story.html.
- Vinograd, C., Jamieston, A., Viala, F., & Smith, A. (2015). Charlie Hebdo Shooting: 12 Killed at Muhammad Cartoons Magazine in Paris. NBC News, Retrieved from http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/paris-magazine-attack/charlie-hebdo-shooting-12-killed-muhammad-cartoons-magazine-paris-n281266.
- Waite, C. K. (2003). Mediation and the communication matrix 10. New York: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- Weigel, D. (2015). Attacks on Trump just make these voters like him more. The Washington Post, Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/attacking-trump-just-makes-these-voters-like-him-more/2015/12/10/2de9edf8-9f44-11e5-a3c5-c77f2cc5a43c_story.html.
- Williams, C. J. (2015). Hackers take over French TV network. The Los Angeles Times, p. A3. Retrieved from http://eedition2.latimes.com/Olive/ODE/LATimes2/.
- Woolf, N. (2015). American Sniper: anti-Muslim threats skyrocket in wake of film’s release American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee writes to Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood requesting action as threat complaints triple. The Guardian. Retrieved from http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jan/24/american-sniper-anti-muslim-threats-skyrocket.
- cc.com: The Daily Show with Barack Obama, 21 July 2015. http://www.cc.com/episodes/skawjk/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-july-21--2015---barack-obama-season-20-ep-20132.
- liveson.org: Lives On, your social afterlife. http://www.liveson.org/connect.php.
- wikileaks.org: https://wikileaks.org/About.html.