Happiness Perceptions—A Comparison 1938 and 2014
This chapter outlines the findings from the Worktown (1938) and Bolton (2014) Happiness data. The frequency of happiness and the role of luck were similar. There were differences between the two databases in the time of the week and the place that residents were happiest. The ranking of the 10 Aspects of Happiness changed with Good Humour and Leisure moving into the top 3, whilst Knowledge and Religion went to lower positions in 2014. Qualitative analysis of happiness letters and comments revealed different categorical frequencies, with contentment and peace of mind being the highest in Worktown and free time activities in 2014 Bolton. The aspects of change and continuity in the perceptions of happiness are explored and possible explanations are discussed.
KeywordsPerceptions of happiness Worktown Bolton Happiness letters and questionnaires
- Camazine, S., Deneubourg, J. L., Franks, N. R., Sneyd, J., Theraulaz, G., & Bonabeau, E. (2003). Self-organization in biological systems. Princeton: Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-691-11624-5, ISBN 0-691-01211-3.Google Scholar
- Cross, G. (1990). Worktowners at Blackpool: Mass-observation and popular leisure in the 1930’s. London: Routledge. ISBN 10: 041504071X, ISBN 13: 9780415040716. Abingdon-on-Thames, England.Google Scholar
- Easterlin, R. A. (1974). Does economic growth improve the human lot? Some empirical evidence. Nations and Households in Economic Growth, 89, 89–125.Google Scholar
- Gardiner, J. (2010). The thirties. An intimate history. London: Harper Press.Google Scholar
- Hall, D. (2015). Worktown: The astonishing story of the project that launched mass observation. London: Weidenfield & Nicholson.Google Scholar
- Mass Observation. (1943). The Pub and the people: A Worktown study. London: Gollancz. Republished 1981. Faber Finds.Google Scholar
- Money Advice Service. (2013). The financial capability of the UK. London: Money Advice Service.Google Scholar
- The Bolton News. (2012, December 15). Census reveals town’s diversity. http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/10110940.Census_reveals_town___s_religious_diversity/.