Meta-Heuristic and Nature Inspired Approaches for Home Energy Management
In this paper, an energy management controller (EMC) is designed using three optimization techniques: harmony search algorithm (HSA), firefly algorithm (FA) and enhanced differential evolution (EDE). The objectives of this work are to minimize electricity cost as well as peak to average ratio (PAR) while maintaining the user comfort (UC). Critical peak pricing (CPP) is used for the calculation of electricity bill. The trade-off between UC and electricity cost is exploited in such a way that a stability is achieved among UC and electricity price that is preferred by the consumer. Reduction in PAR is beneficial for both consumer and utility as it provides stability to the electric grid.
- 1.Zhu, Z., Tang, J., Lambotharan, S., Chin, W.H., Fan, Z.: An integer linear programming based optimization for home demand-side management in smart grid. In: 2012 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), pp. 1–5. IEEE, January 2012Google Scholar
- 5.Rajarajeswari, R., Vijayakumar, K., Modi, A.: Demand side management in smart grid using optimization technique for residential, commercial and industrial load. Indian J. Sci. Technol. 9(43) 2016Google Scholar
- 14.Northwest Power & Conservation Council. https://www.nwcouncil.org/. Accessed 09 Apr 2017
- 17.Arafa, M., Sallam, E.A., Fahmy, M.: An enhanced differential evolution optimization algorithm. In: 2014 Fourth International Conference on Digital Information and Communication Technology and it’s Applications (DICTAP), pp. 216–225. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.Zafar, A., Shah, S., Khalid, R., Hussain, S.M., Rahim, H., Javaid, N.: A meta - heuristic home energy management systemGoogle Scholar