Systematic Review: Prostate Cancer Survivorship and Psychosexual Care
As a result of the above findings, a systematic review relating to literature on survivorship programmes for men with prostate cancer and psychosexual concerns was conducted. The search strategy aimed to identify all references related to prostate cancer survivorship programme components AND survivorship AND psychosexual concerns. The selection criteria specified papers must be related to primary research only. All secondary research apart from published systematic reviews or meta-analyses, were excluded. Search terms used were as follows: (Prostate cancer OR prostate neoplasms) AND (survivorship OR survivor*) OR (psychosexual impairment or sexual dysfunction or erectile dysfunction) AND (comorbidity or quality of life) (Fig. 100.1). The following databases were screened from 1984 to March 2014: CINAHL and MEDLINE (NHS Evidence), Cochrane, AMed, BNI, EMBASE, Health Business Elite, HMIC, PschINFO. In addition, searches using Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) and keywords were conducted using Cochrane databases. Primary research only was included in the systematic review. Two UK-based experts in survivorship care were consulted to identify any additional studies.
- 2.Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. BMJ (Online). 2009;339:332–6.Google Scholar
- 6.Muller-Mattheis V, Schulz C, Schmelzer R, Mortsiefer A, Rotthoff T, Albers P, Karger A. Evaluation of a new course on teaching of erectile dysfunction following pelvic surgery in men with prostate or bladder cancer in undergraduate medical education. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2012;138:124.Google Scholar
- 8.Naccarato A, Reis L, Mendonca G, Denardi F. Post radical prostatectomy erectile dysfunction rehabilitation is couple dependent: a missing piece in the puzzle. Urology. 2013;1:S184.Google Scholar
- 9.Naccarato AMEP, Souto SC, Moreira M, Heckler P, Ferreira U, Souza EAP, Denardi F. Effects of phosphodiesterase inhibitors on erectile function and performance, and impacts of psychotherapy on the quality of life of patients submitted to radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. J Sex Med. 2014;11:244.Google Scholar
- 12.Nelson C, Kenowitz J, Pessin H, Lacey S, Mulhall J. Acceptance and commitment therapy for adherence to an erectile rehabilitation program after radical prostatectomy: preliminary results from a randomized control trial. Psychooncology. 2013;22:34.Google Scholar
- 22.Pavlovich CP, Levinson AW, Su LM, Mettee LZ, Feng Z, Bivalacqua TJ, Trock BJ. Nightly vs on-demand sildenafil for penile rehabilitation after minimally invasive nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy: results of a randomized double-blind trial with placebo. BJU Int. 2013;112:844–51.CrossRefGoogle Scholar