Are Small Cells and Network Intelligence at the Edge the Drivers for 5G Market Adoption? The SESAME Case
Although 5G promises advanced features such as low latency, high data rates and reliability as well as high socio-economic value, the business opportunities of the proposed solutions have not yet been examined. In this paper, the SESAME approach along with spectrum sharing options and indicative use cases are initially described. The incentives for SESAME adoption along with the value proposition and creation are analyzed. Finally, a reference model describing the role and interactions of the involved players as well as the revenue streams is provided.
Keywords5G networks Business model Cloud Computing NFV SDN Small Cells Telecom market
The research leading to these results has been supported by the EU funded H2020 5G-PPP project SESAME (grant agreement No. 671596).
- 1.The 5G Infrastructure Public Private Partnership (5G-PPP): 5G Vision: The next generation of communication networks and services. https://5g-ppp.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/5G-Vision-Brochure-v1.pdf
- 3.El Hattachi, R., Erfanian, J.: NGMN 5G White paper. Next Generation Mobile Network (NGMN) Ltd. (2015). https://www.ngmn.org/uploads/media/NGMN_5G_White_Paper_V1_0.pdf
- 4.Capdevielle, V., Feki, A., Temer, E.: Enhanced resource sharing strategies for LTE picocells with heterogeneous traffic loads. In: Proceedings of IEEE 73rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2011-Spring), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Small Cell Forum (SCF): Release 7.0: Document 055.07.01 – Small Cells and 5G Evolution: A Topic Brief. http://scf.io/en/documents/055__Small_cells_and_5G_evolution_a_topic_brief.php
- 7.SESAME H2020 5G-PPP Project. http://www.sesame-h2020-5g-ppp.eu/Home.aspx
- 8.Small Cell Forum (SCF): Small Cell Virtualization Functional Splits and Use Cases, SCF 159.07.02 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.European Telecommunications Standards Institute: ETSI GS NFV-MAN 001 (V1.1.1): Network Function Virtualisation (NFV); Management and Orchestration. ETSI, Sophia-Antipolis (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Mahmoud, H.A., Guvenc, I.: A Comparative study of different deployment modes for femtocell networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE Indoor Outdoor Femtocells (IOFC) Workshop (co-located with PIMRC 2009), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Maladi, D.: Making the Best Use of Unlicensed Spectrum. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Intel Corporation: Intel White paper - Alternative LTE Solutions in Unlicensed Spectrum: Overview of LWA, LTE-LAA and Beyond. Intel Corporation (2016)Google Scholar