Conceptual Framework for Managing Uncertainty in a Collaborative Agri-Food Supply Chain Context
Agri-food supply chains are subjected to many sources of uncertainty. If these uncertainties are not managed properly, they can have a negative impact on the agri-food supply chain (AFSC) performance, its customers, and the environment. In this sense, collaboration is proposed as a possible solution to reduce it. For that, a conceptual framework (CF) for managing uncertainty in a collaborative context is proposed. In this context, this paper seeks to answer the following research questions: What are the existing uncertainty sources in the AFSCs? Can collaboration be used to reduce the uncertainty of AFSCs? Which elements can integrate a CF for managing uncertainty in a collaborative AFSC? The CF proposal is applied to the weather source of uncertainty in order to show its applicability.
KeywordsAgri-food supply chains Collaboration Uncertainty Conceptual framework
The first author acknowledges the partial support of the Program of Formation of University Professors of the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport (FPU15/03595). The other authors acknowledge the partial support of the Project 691249, RUC-APS: Enhancing and implementing Knowledge based ICT solutions within high Risk and Uncertain Conditions for Agriculture Production Systems, funded by the EU under its funding scheme H2020-MSCA-RISE-2015.
- 5.van der Vorst, J.G., Da Silva, C.A., Trienekens, J.H.: Agro-industrial supply chain management: Concepts and applications. FAO (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Klosa, E.: A concept of models for supply chain speculative risk analysis and management. J. Econ. Manag. 12, 45–59 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Backus, G.B.C., Eidman, V.R., Dijkhuizen, A.A.: Farm decision making under risk and uncertainty. Neth. J. Agric. Sci. 45, 307–328 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.van der Vorst, J.G.: Effective food supply chains; Generating, modelling and evaluating supply chain scenarios. (2000)Google Scholar
- 17.Zwietering, M.H., van’t Riet, K.: Modelling of the quality of food: optimization of a cooling chain. In: Management Studies and the Agri-business: Management of Agri-chains, Wageningen, The Netherlands, pp. 108–117 (1994)Google Scholar
- 26.Opara, L.U.: Traceability in agriculture and food supply chain: a review of basic concepts, technological implications, and future prospects. J. Food Agric. Environ. 1, 101–106 (2003)Google Scholar
- 27.Kruize, J.W., Wolfert, S., Goense, D., Scholten, H., Beulens, A., Veenstra, T.: Integrating ICT applications for farm business collaboration processes using Fl Space. In: 2014 Annual SRII Global Conference, pp. 232–240. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 30.Prima Dania, W.A., Xing, K., Amer, Y.: Collaboration and sustainable agri-food supply chain: a literature review. MATEC Web Conf. 58 (2016)Google Scholar