Process development of AA3103 aluminum alloy for automotive thins
AA3XXX alloys have been widely used to produce automotives thins. First, these thins are drawed, before the condenser production in which it can be used processes as brazing. These alloys can show a large variability of macrostructure due to different cooling rates used after homogenizing whose diffusion mechanism of manganese in solid solution is prevailing. In this work, they were analyzed as-cast samples involving 3 homogenizing temperatures and 3 different cooling rates. Afterwards, samples were rolled until thickness of 200µm and heated to 6 different temperatures to create the annealing curve for each situation. Macro and microstructure analysis was performed as well as electric conductivity. This last showed that the higher treatment temperature and cooling rate are the lower the electric conductivity is. Manganese diffusion from solid solution to precipitated favors the recrystallization and promotes a more homogeneous and fine distribution of grains.
Keywordsaluminum alloys automotive thins heat treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.PAES, M., IARTELLI, A., Desenvolvimento de Ligas de Aluminio por twin roll casting: Potencialidades e aplicações, II Congresso Internacional do Alumínio, 2005, SP, Brasil.Google Scholar
- 3.KERTH, W., ET AL., Aluminum Foil Production, International Metallurgical Reviews, vol. 20, 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.FERNANDES, R. C., Efeito dos Teores de Manganês e de Ferro na Evolução Microestrutural de Duas Ligas do Sistema Al-Fe-Mn-Si Obtidas Por Lingotamento Contínuo, PhD Thesis, Escola Politécnica da USP, São Paulo, 2006.Google Scholar
- 5.HATCH, J. E., Aluminum: Properties and Physical Metallurgy, Metals Park Ohio, ASM, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.MONDOLFO, L.F.; Manganese in aluminium alloys. Norwich. The Manganese Center, Page Bros, Mile Croos Lane, 1977, p.118.Google Scholar
- 7.LI, Y., ARNBERG, L., Precipitation of dispersoids in DC-Cast AA3103 Alloy during Heat Treatment, Light Metals, p. 991–997, 2003.Google Scholar
- 8.LI, Y., ARNBERG, L., Quantitative study on the precipitation behavior of dispersoids in DC-cast AA3003 alloy during heating and homogenization, Acta Materialia, v.51, 2003.Google Scholar