Securitisation in the Gas Sector: Energy Security Debates Concerning the Example of the Nord Stream Pipeline
The chapter compares the securitisation of transnational energy infrastructures in Germany and Poland through the example of the Nord Stream gas pipeline. The pipeline allows for direct natural gas deliveries from Russia to Germany through the Baltic Sea—bypassing the traditional transit countries in Central and Eastern Europe, Poland among them. Thus, its construction is one of the most controversial energy issues in German-Polish relations. Scrutinising the national debates about the Nord Stream pipeline, Heinrich examines the kind of security debates that have occurred, what risk/threat perceptions exist, and the nature of the counter-measures that have been proposed in Poland and Germany.
- Buzan, Barry, Ole Wæver, and Jaap de Wilde. 1998. Security: A New Framework for Analysis. Boulder: Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- Heinrich, Andreas. 2007. Poland as a Transit Country for Russian Natural Gas: Potential for Conflict, KICES Working Papers No. 9–10. Koszalin: KICES.Google Scholar
- ———. 2014. Introduction: Export Pipelines in Eurasia. In Export Pipelines from the CIS Region: Geopolitics, Securitization, and Political Decision-Making, ed. Heinrich, Andreas, Pleines, Heiko, 1–73. Stuttgart: ibidem Publishers.Google Scholar
- Heinrich, Andreas, and Heiko Pleines. 2017. Towards a Common European Energy Policy? Energy Security Debates in Poland and Germany on the Example of the Nord Stream Pipeline. In Europeanisation vs. Renationalisation: Learning from Crisis for European Development, ed. Ulrike Liebert and Anna Jenichen. Leverkusen: Barbara Budrich Publishers.Google Scholar
- Larsson, Robert L. 2007. Nord Stream, Sweden and Baltic Sea Security. Stockholm: Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI).Google Scholar
- Loskot-Strachota, Agata. 2017. The OPAL Pipeline: Controversies About the Rules for Its Use and the Question of Supply Security, OWS Commentary No. 229. Warsaw: Centre for Eastern Studies. Available at: https://www.osw.waw.pl/en/publikacje/osw-commentary/2017-01-17/opal-pipeline-controversies-about-rules-its-use-and-question.
- Siddi, Marco. 2017. National Identities and Foreign Policy in the European Union: The Russia Policy of Germany, Poland and Finland. Colchester: ECPR Press.Google Scholar
- Wæver, Ole. 1995. Securitization and Desecuritization. In On Security, ed. Ronnie D. Lipschutz, 46–86. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Yafimava, Katja. 2017. The OPAL Exemption Decision: Past, Present, and Future, OIES Paper NG 117. Oxford: Oxford Institute for Energy Studies. Available at: https://www.oxfordenergy.org/publications/opal-exemption-decision-past-present-future/.