Gender Equality Impact Assessment: A Core Element of Gender Budgeting
This chapter raises a series of questions on how gender budget analysis can reveal central concerns of gender equality as advanced by feminist economics and feminist public policy analysts. It discusses the importance of engaging in budgetary processes and decision-making to identify and eliminate the gendered effects across multiple policy domains including the care economy, definitions of gender equality, and the relevance of gender analysis to economic policy and decision-making.
- Bargawi, Hannah, Giovanni Cozzi, and Susan Himmelweit, eds. 2016. Economics and Austerity in Europe, Gendered Impacts and Sustainable Alternatives. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bennett, Fran, Jerome De Henau, and Sirin Sung. 2010. Within-Household Inequalities Across Classes? Management and Control of Money. In Gender Inequalities in the 21st Century: New Barriers and Continuing Constraints, ed. Jacqueline L. Scott, Rosemary Crompton, and Clare Lyonette, 215–241. Cheltenham and Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing.Google Scholar
- Bettio, Francesca, Marcella Corsi, Carlo D’Ippoliti, Antigone Lyberaki, Manuela Samek Lodovici, and Alina Verashchagina. 2013. The Impact of the Economic Crisis on the Situation of Women and Men and on Gender Equality Policies. http://ec.europa.eu/justice/gender-equality/files/documents/130410_crisis_report_en.pdf. Accessed 30 Oct 2016.
- Cracknell, Richard, and Richard Keen. 2016. Estimating the Gender Impact of Tax and Benefits Changes. House of Commons Library Briefing Paper No. SN06758. Source: researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06758/SN06758.pdf. Accessed 30 Dec 2016.
- De Henau, Jerome. 2017. Costing and Funding Free Universal Childcare of High Quality. WBG Briefing. http://wbg.org.uk/analysis/costing-funding-free-universal-childcare-high-quality/. Accessed 12 Apr 2017.
- De Henau, Jerome, Susan Himmelweit, Zofia Łapniewska, and D. Diane Perrons. 2016. Investing in the Care Economy: A Gender Analysis of Employment Stimulus in Seven OECD Countries. Report by the UK Women’s Budget Group for the International Trade Union Confederation, Brussels. http://www.ituc-csi.org/IMG/pdf/care_economy_en.pdf. Accessed 30 Oct 2016.
- Elson, Diane. 2015. Gender Budgeting and Macroeconomic Policy. In Feminist Economics and Public Policy: Reflections on the Work and Impact of Ailsa McKay, ed. Jim Campbell and Morag Gillespie, 27–37. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Grown, Caren, and Imraan Valodia, eds. 2010. Taxation and Gender Equity: A Comparative Analysis of Direct and Indirect Taxes in Developing and Developed Countries. Abingdon and New York: Routledge & IDRC. http://idl-bnc.idrc.ca/dspace/bitstream/10625/43684/1/IDL-43684.pdf. Accessed 30 Dec 2016.
- The Guardian. 2010. Women Will Bear Brunt of Budget Cuts, Says Yvette Cooper. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/jul/04/women-budget-cuts-yvette-cooper
- Himmelweit, Sue. 2015. Childcare as an Investment in Infrastructure. In Feminist Economics and Public Policy: Reflections on the Work and Impact of Ailsa McKay, ed. Jim Campbell and Morag Gillespie, 83–93. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Karamessini, Maria, and Jill Rubery, eds. 2014. The Economic Crisis and the Future of Gender Equality. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Reed, Howard, and Jonathan Portes. 2014. Cumulative Impact Assessment. Equality and Human Rights Commission Research Report Series Research Report 94. Source: https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/publication-download/research-report-94-cumulative-impact-assessment. Accessed 30 Oct 2016.
- Reed, Howard. 2016. The Gender Impact of Austerity in the UK Under the Conservative-Liberal Democrat Coalition Government, 2010–15. In Economics and Austerity in Europe: Gendered Impacts and Sustainable Alternatives, ed. Hannah Bargawi, Giovanni Cozzi, and Susan Himmelweit. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Rubery, Jill, and Koukiadaki, Aristea. 2016. Closing the Gender Pay Gap: A Review of the Issues, Policy Mechanisms and International Evidence. ILO. http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---dgreports/---gender/documents/publication/wcms_540889.pdf
- Sen, Amartya. 1990. Gender and Cooperative Conflicts. In Persistent Inequalities: Women and World Development, ed. Irene Tinker, 123–149. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Women’s Budget Group. 2016a. Autumn Financial Statement 2016: Women’s Budget Group Response. http://wbg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/AFS2016_WBGreport_13Dec_final2.pdf. Accessed 28 Dec 2016.
- ———. 2016b. New Research Shows That Poverty, Ethnicity and Gender Magnify the Impact of Austerity on BME Women. http://wbg.org.uk/news/new-research-shows-poverty-ethnicity-gender-magnify-impact-austerity-bme-women/. Accessed 14 Apr 2017.