Hardware Secured, Password-based Authentication for Smart Sensors for the Industrial Internet of Things
Sensors are a vital component for the Internet of Things. These sensors gather information about their environment and pass this information to control algorithms and/or actuators. To operate as effective as possible the sensors need to be reconfigurable, which allows the operators to optimize the sensing activities. In this work we focus on the mechanisms of such reconfiguration possibilities. As the reconfiguration can also be used to manipulate the sensors (and their attached systems) in a subtle way, the security of the reconfiguration interface is of utmost importance. Within this work we test a lightweight authentication method for use on a smart sensor and describe a possible implementations of the authentication mechanism on a hardware security module.
This project has received funding from the Electronic Component Systems for European Leadership Joint Undertaking under grant agreement No 692480. This Joint Undertaking receives support from the European Unions Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme and Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Belgium, Slovakia.
- 4.Bellovin, S.M., Merritt, M.: Encrypted key exchange: Password-based protocols secure against dictionary attacks. In: IEEE Computer Society Symposium on Proceedings of Research in Security and Privacy, 1992, pp. 72–84. IEEE (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Bellare, M., Rogaway, P.: The autha protocol for password-based authenticated key exchange. Technical report, IEEE (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Kobara, K., Imai, H.: Pretty-simple password-authenticated key-exchange under standard assumptions. iacr eprint archieve (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Druml, N., Menghin, M., Kuleta, A., Steger, C., Weiss, R., Bock, H., Haid, J.: A flexible and lightweight ecc-based authentication solution for resource constrained systems. In: 2014 17th Euromicro Conference on Digital System Design (DSD), pp. 372–378. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Ulz, T., Pieber, T., Steger, C., Haas, S., Bock, H., Matischek, R.: Bring your own key for the industrial internet of things. In: 2017 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 1430–1435. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.Google: Google Weave - uWeave (2016). https://weave.googlesource.com/weave/libuweave/+/HEAD