A New Image Contrast Enhancement Algorithm Using Exposure Fusion Framework
- 3.1k Downloads
Low-light images are not conducive to human observation and computer vision algorithms due to their low visibility. Although many image enhancement techniques have been proposed to solve this problem, existing methods inevitably introduce contrast under- and over-enhancement. In this paper, we propose an image contrast enhancement algorithm to provide an accurate contrast enhancement. Specifically, we first design the weight matrix for image fusion using illumination estimation techniques. Then we introduce our camera response model to synthesize multi-exposure images. Next, we find the best exposure ratio so that the synthetic image is well-exposed in the regions where the original image under-exposed. Finally, the input image and the synthetic image are fused according to the weight matrix to obtain the enhancement result. Experiments show that our method can obtain results with less contrast and lightness distortion compared to that of several state-of-the-art methods.
KeywordsImage enhancement Contrast enhancement Exposure compensation Exposure fusion
This work was supported by the grant of National Science Foundation of China (No.U1611461), Shenzhen Peacock Plan (20130408-183003656), and Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangdong Province, China (No. 2014B090910001 and No. 2014B010117007).
- 4.Dong, X., Wang, G., Pang, Y., Li, W., Wen, J., Meng, W., Lu, Y.: Fast efficient algorithm for enhancement of low lighting video. In: 2011 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 1–6. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Guo, X.: Lime: a method for low-light image enhancement. In: Proceedings of the 2016 ACM on Multimedia Conference, pp. 87–91. ACM (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Karaduzovic-Hadziabdic, K., Telalovic, J.H., Mantiuk, R.: Subjective and objective evaluation of multi-exposure high dynamic range image deghosting methods (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, C.H., Shih, J.L., Lien, C.C., Han, C.C.: Adaptive multiscale retinex for image contrast enhancement. In: 2013 International Conference on Signal-Image Technology & Internet-Based Systems (SITIS), pp. 43–50. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Xu, L., Yan, Q., Xia, Y., Jia, J.: Structure extraction from texture via relative total variation. ACM Trans. Graph. (TOG) 31(6), 139 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Ying, Z., Li, G., Ren, Y., Wang, R., Wang, W.: A new low-light image enhancement algorithm using camera response model, manuscript submitted for publication (2017)Google Scholar