Quality Assurance at Jordan University of Science and Technology (JUST): Integrating Administrative Quality and Academic Accreditation
In light of the significant developments in higher education in recent years such as globalization, and the resulting survival challenges including but not limited to unprecedented expansion and ensuing intense competition, higher education institutions across the world had to implement international quality standards. Realizing the challenge, JUST had quality embedded in its core strategic objectives and explicitly highlighted it in its vision and mission statements. However, unlike the vast majority of higher education institutions where quality is perceived in terms of purely academic-only parameters, JUST elected to proceed in an integrated quality approach. The approach entails addressing simultaneously both academic and administrative aspects in an integrative complimentary manner. In the implementation phase, JUST put down a comprehensive total quality management system that enjoys full top management support and involves representations from all aspects of the university’s operations, departments, and units. It is claimed that thanks to this approach, JUST secured an advanced distinguished place in terms of quality that manifested itself in pioneering in local and international accreditations, as well as leading positions in world university rankings.
KeywordsJordan JUST Integrated quality Academic quality Accreditation Administrative quality ISO 9001:2008
- HEAC Website (n.d.) (http://www.heac.org.jo/).
- JUST Website (n.d.) (www.just.edu.jo).
- QS Website and Links (n.d.) (http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings).
- Van Damme, D. (2001, September 10–11) Higher education in the age of globalization: The need for a new regulatory framework for recognition, quality assurance and accreditation Introductory Paper for the UNESCO Expert Meeting Paris.Google Scholar
- Veni, C. N., Manimaran S. (2015) Structural equation modeling for analyzing the impact of quality of administrative practices in higher educational institutions, Qual Quant, Published online 2 June, 2015.Google Scholar