International Education Global Communication Trends
The goal of this paper is to help international education policy makers and stakeholders foster effective information sharing on the multiple platforms available to them through technology. In order for international education to embrace the innovations of the times and become more inclusive with a broader group of actors and audiences, there needs to be a more thorough evaluation of education developments around the world. This is done by creating to be more effective borrowing and lending methodologies and information-sharing platforms. I first bring an overview of the current state of international education news. The overview includes the mediums used, the audience it attracts, and the audience it excludes. Then I conduct a literature review of policy and research lacking sufficient support. Finally, I conclude with information-sharing platform recommendations based on available technology and effective transmission research.
KeywordsInternational education News media Communication Development Communications technology Education news
- Anderson, A. (1997). Media, culture, and the environment. London: UCL Press.Google Scholar
- Bergold, J., & Thomas, S. (2012). Participatory research methods: A methodological approach in motion. FQS: Forum Qualitative Research 13(1). Retrieved from: http://www.qualitative-research.net/index.php/fqs/article/view/1801/3334
- Berryman, S. E. (2001). Hidden challenges to education systems in transition economies, The World Bank, Europe and Central Asia Region. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Center for International Higher Education Journal (CIHE). (2016). Welcome to Center for International Higher Education Journal website. Boston: Boston College. Retrieved from: http://www.bc.edu/research/cihe/about.html.
- Chalkbeat: About Us. (n.d.). Chalkbeat. Retrieved from: http://chalkbeat.org/about/.
- Collins, A., Neville, P., & Bielaczyc, K. (2000). The role of different media in designing learning environments. International. Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 11, 144–162.Google Scholar
- DeMoss, M. D. (2010). Mapping the issues: A content analysis of elementary and secondary education news stories from 1968 to 2008 on television networks (Order No. 3389703). Available from ProQuest Central; ProQuest Education Journals. (305242062). Retrieved from http://ezproxy.cul.col bia.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/docview/305242062?accountid=10226
- EdSurge. (n.d.). EdSurge. Retrieved from: http://about.edsurge.com.
- Patrinos, H. (2002). A review of demand – side initiatives in education, Working Paper. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Hechinger Report: About Us. (n.d.). The Hechinger report. Retrieved from: http://hechingerreport.org/about/.
- International Education News Network (IENN). (2016a). 40 billion dollar funding gap for Abamu 10 education development is no big deal for economist Jeffery Sachs. New York: IENN. Retrieved from: http://internationaleducationnews.com/40-billion-dollar-funding-gap-for-education-development-is-no-big-deal-for-economist-jeffry-sachs.Google Scholar
- International Education News Network (IENN). (2016b). Pulling policy from Singapore Secretary of Education John King Sets Plan for the US- FULL PANEL. New York: IENN. Retrieved from: http://internationaleducationnews.com/pulling-policy-from-singapore-secretary-of-education-john-king-sets-plan-for-the-us-full-panel/.Google Scholar
- Klingner, J. K., & Vaughn, S. (1999). Promoting reading comprehension, content learning, and English acquisition though Collaborative Strategic Reading (CSR). Reading Teacher, 52(7), 738.Google Scholar
- Lockheed, M. (2010). Gender and social exclusion, Education Policy Series No. 12. International Institute of Educational Planning. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Norman, D. (2002). The design of everyday things. New York: Basic Books, Inc.Google Scholar
- O’Neil, M. (2014). National news outlets expand higher – education coverage. The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/docview/1510460873?accountid=10226
- OECD. (2015). Development aide stable in 2014 but flows to poorest countries still falling. OECD enabling effective development. Paris: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Retrieved from: https://www.oecd.org/dac/stats/documentupload/ODA%202014%20Technical%20Note. pdf.Google Scholar
- Orchowski, P. S. (2010). Scant news coverage of education inimical to public interest. The Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education, 20, 19. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/docview/219285119?accountid=10226.Google Scholar
- Reimers, F., da Silva, D. S., Carol, Trevino, & Ernesto. (2006). Where is the “education” in conditional transfer programs? Montreal: UNESCO Institute of Statistics.Google Scholar
- Roberts, L. G. (2004). Harnessing information technology for international education. Phi Delta Kappan, 86(3), 225–228. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/docview/218475213?accountid=10226.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. (2005). The end of poverty: Economic possibilities for our time. In Chapter 5: Bolivia’s highaltitude hyperinflation. New York: The Penguin Press.Google Scholar
- Schneider, H., [Case]. (2010, March 12). Journalism and media lecture series: Howard Schneider lecture on news literacy (Video File). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv4YgX5udlM
- Steiner-Khamsi, G. (2004). The global politics of educational borrowing and lending. New York: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- The Chronicle of Higher Education. (n.d.). The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved from: http://chronicle.com/page/About-the-Chronicle/609?cid=cheftr
- Tseday, A., & Mentor, D. (2016). Mobile learning for social change: Democratizing education and civic engagement. Mobile Learning in Contemporary Classrooms, 18, 363–377.Google Scholar
- Tulip, P. (2007). Financing higher education in the United States. Paris: Retrieved from http://ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/docview/189907273?accountid=10226
- UNESCO. (2010). Literacy for development. Abuja: Synthesis of E9 Country Reports, Education for All Ministerial Review Meeting.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2015). Education for all 2000–2015 global monitoring report. Paris: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.Google Scholar
- Ushahidi. (2016). About Ushahidi. Retrieved from: https://www.ushahidi.com/about.
- WNYC. (2016). Aid workers worry about civilians trapped in Mosul. New York: WNYC. Retrieved from: http://www.w/nyc.org/story/aid-workers-worry-about-civilians-trapped-in-mosul/.