Large-Scale Fakes: Living in Architectural Reproductions
The aim of this chapter is to examine how the “real” in the city is idealized and the role of scale in this process, focusing on the phenomenon of architectural replication, which attempts to create large-scale spectacles in the contemporary city context. The chapter compares the popular movement in China to build neighborhoods or even entire cities replicating cities of the West to the attitude towards reproductions in Europe, where authenticity is often mythologized. The chapter explores what it means not only to build “Large-Scale Fakes,” but, most importantly, to dwell in them as part of a contemporary global culture.
- Antonopoulou, Aikaterini. “Re-Thinking Landscape in the Context of Virtualization.” In Landscape & Imagination: Towards a New Baseline for Education in a Changing World, edited by Conor Newman, Yann Nussaume, and Bas Pedroli, 39–42. Pisa: Bandecchi and Vivaldi, 2013.Google Scholar
- Association Berliner Schloss. “New Images of Berlin 2019.” Accessed July 1, 2015. http://berliner-schloss.de/en/new-palace/new-images-of-berlin-2019.
- ———. “The Humboldt-Forum. The Usage Plan for the New Palace of Berlin.” Accessed July 1, 2015. http://berliner-schloss.de/en/new-palace/usage-plan.
- Badiou, Alain. The Century. Translated by Alberto Toscano. Cambridge: Polity, 2007.Google Scholar
- Baudrillard, Jean. Simulacra and Simulation. Translated by Sheila Faria Glaser. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- Beyley, Stephen. “A Fake Crystal Palace Will Shame Britain.” The Telegraph, October 3, 2013, accessed July 10, 2015. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/architecture/10353232/A-fake-Crystal-Palace-will-shame-Britain.html.
- Bosker, Bianca. Original Copies: Architectural Mimicry in Contemporary China. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 2013.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gilles. “Plato and the Simulacrum.” Translated by Rosalind Krauss. October 27 (1983): 45–56.Google Scholar
- Eco, Umberto. Faith in Fakes: Travels in Hyperreality. London: Vintage, 1995.Google Scholar
- Gortz, Birgit. “The Return of Berlin’s City Palace.” Deutsche Welle, June 11, 2013, accessed July 1, 2015. http://www.dw.de/the-return-of-berlins-city-palace/g-16870945.
- Greenspan, Elizabeth. “How to Manhattanize a City.” The New Yorker, October 23, 2013, accessed March 10, 2015. http://www.newyorker.com/currency-tag/how-to-manhattanize-a-city.
- Groys, Boris. Art Power. Cambridge: MIT Press, 2008.Google Scholar
- Huyssen, Andreas. Present Pasts: Urban Palimpsests and the Politics of Memory. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2003.Google Scholar
- Jameson, Fredric. Postmodernism, Or, the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- Jia, Zhangke. The World: A Film (original title: Shijie). 2005. Office Kitano, Lumen Films, X Stream Pictures, Bandai Visual Company in association with Shanghai Film Group, Xinghui Production. DVD.Google Scholar
- Koolhaas, Rem. Delirious New York: A Retroactive Manifesto for Manhattan. New York: Oxford University Press, 1978.Google Scholar
- Koolhaas, Rem, and Bruce Mau. S, M, L, XL. Edited by Jennifer Sigler. New York: Monacelli, 1995.Google Scholar
- Latour, Bruno. “The Anthropocene and the Destruction of the Image of the Globe.” Gifford Lecture Series: Facing Gaia. A New Enquiry into Natural Religion. Lecture at the University of Edinburgh, February 25, 2013. http://www.ed.ac.uk/arts-humanities-soc-sci/news-events/lectures/gifford-lectures/archive/series-2012-2013/bruno-latour/lecture-four.
- Sloterdijk, Peter. In the World Interior of Capital: For a Philosophical Theory of Globalization. Translated by Wieland Hoban. Cambridge: Polity, 2013.Google Scholar
- Torry, Harriet. “Re-creating the Baroque Glory of a Berlin Palace.” The Wall Street Journal, August 13, 2014, accessed July 1, 2015. http://www.wsj.com/articles/re-creating-the-baroque-glory-of-a-berlin-palace-1407938317.
- Venturi, Robert, Denise S. Brown, and Steven Izenour. Learning from Las Vegas. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1972.Google Scholar
- Žižek, Slavoj. Welcome to the Desert of the Real! Five Essays on 11 September and Related Dates. London: Verso, 2002.Google Scholar
- ZhongRong Group. “The London Crystal Palace Brochure.” The London Crystal Palace. Accessed June 15, 2015. http://www.thelondoncrystalpalace.com/uploads/1/2/1/3/12137857/the_crystal_palace_-_highres.pdf.