Service-Based Software Systems
The goal of this chapter is to show the characteristics of service-based software systems as systems of systems, and how their simulation counterparts can be developed using a DEVS modeling approach. We show how standards such as Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) play key roles in developing simulation models that are better equipped to be interchanged with their real counterparts. Generic SOA-compliant DEVS model components are developed to closely represent their real counterparts and are used to develop simulation instances of real service-based software systems. Users can systematically and efficiently prototype service-based software systems in simulated settings with capability to evaluate their quality of service attributes such as timeliness and accuracy.
- DEVS-Suite (2017). DEVS-Suite Simulator. Retrieved from http://devs-suitesim.sourceforge.net.
- Erl, T. (2006). Service-oriented architecture concepts, technology and design. New York: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Kim, S., Sarjoughian, H. S., & Elamvazuthi, V. (2009). DEVS-suite: A simulator for visual experimentation and behavior monitoring. In High Performance Computing & Simulation Symposium, Proceedings of the Spring Simulation Conference, 1–7 March, San Diego, CA.Google Scholar
- Kim, S. (2008). Simulator for service-based software system: design and implementation with DEVS-suite. Master’s Thesis, School of Computing, Information, and Decision Systems Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.Google Scholar
- Lenz, G., & Moeller, T. (2003). NET: A complete development cycle. Reading: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Møller, A., & Schwartzbach, M. I. (2006). An introduction to XML and web technologies. Reading: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Papazoglou, M. P. (2003). Service-oriented computing: Concepts, characteristics and directions. In WISE (pp. 3–12).Google Scholar
- Russell, N., Hofstede, A., Aalst, W., & Mulyar, N. (2006). Workflow control-flow patterns: A revised view. BPM Center Report BPM-06-22.Google Scholar
- Sarjoughian, H. S., Kim, S., Ramaswamy, M., & Yau, S. S. (2008). A simulation framework for service-oriented computing systems. In Proceedings of the Winter Simulation Conference, Miami, FL, USA (pp. 845–853).Google Scholar
- Zeigler, B. P., Praehofer, H., & Kim, T. G. (2000). Theory of modeling and simulation: Integrating discrete event and continuous complex dynamic systems (2nd ed.). San Diego: Academic Press.Google Scholar