Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality in Physical and Online Retailing: A Review, Synthesis and Research Agenda
Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) have emerged as rapidly developing technologies used in both physical and online retailing to enhance the selling environment and shopping experience. However, academic research on, and practical applications of, AR and VR in retail are still fragmented, and this state of affairs is arguably attributable to the interdisciplinary origins of the topic. Undertaking a comparative chronological analysis of AR and VR research and applications in a retail context, this paper synthesises current debates to provide an up-to-date perspective—incorporating issues relating to motives, applications and implementation of AR and VR by retailers, as well as consumer acceptance—and to frame the basis for a future research agenda.
KeywordsAugmented reality Virtual reality Retail Literature review Future research
- Alshaal, S. E., Michael, S., & Pamporis, A. (2016). Enhancing virtual reality systems with smart wearable devices, mobile data management (MDM). Paper presented at the 17th IEEE International Conference.Google Scholar
- Batiz, G. (2001). Virtual reality. Warehousing Management, 8(5), 31–32.Google Scholar
- Brody, A. B., & Gottsman, E. J. (1999). Pocket bargainfinder: A handheld device for augmented commerce. Paper presented at the International Symposium on Handheld and Ubiquitous Computing.Google Scholar
- Bulearca, M., & Tamarjan, D. (2010). Augmented reality: A sustainable marketing tool. Global Business and Management Research: An International Journal, 2, 237–252.Google Scholar
- Craig, A. B. (2013). Understanding augmented reality: Concepts and applications. Waltham: Morgan Kaufmann. https://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=7_O5LaIC0SwC&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=Craig,+A.+B.+(2013).+Understanding+augmented+reality:+concepts+and+applications.+Newnes.&ots=LGEvsWzNka&sig=UhsvtKBUkM_Lak3SFoZ9i79a2EU#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Craig, A. B., Sherman, W. R., & Will, J. D. (2009). Developing virtual reality applications: Foundations of effective design. London: Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- Dacko, S. G. (2016). Enabling smart retail settings via mobile augmented reality shopping apps, Technological Forecasting and Social Change. doi: org/10.1016/j.techfore.2016.09.032.
- Dad, A. M., Barry, D., & Rehman, A. A. (2016). 3D servicescape model: Atmospheric qualities of virtual reality retailing. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 7(2), 25–38.Google Scholar
- Fuchs, P., Moreau, G. & Guitton, P. (2011). Virtual reality: Concepts and technologies. CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Gold, L. N. (1993). Virtual Reality Now a Research Reality. Marketing Research., 5(4), 50–51.Google Scholar
- Grinspan, I. (2012). Try on sunglasses from the street in bloomingdale’s new display. Retrieved May, 2016, from http://ny.racked.com/2012/4/19/7728253/try-on-sunglasses-from-the-street-in-bloomingdales-interactive-display#4571298.
- Howland, D. (2016). The new realities of VR and retail. Retrieved May, 2016, from http://www.retaildive.com/news/the-new-realities-of-vr-and-retail/414482/.
- Kumari, N., & Bakan, S. (2015). A real time virtual fitting room application. International Engineering Research Journal (IERJ), 1(4), 122–125.Google Scholar
- Leinfuss, E. (1996). Virtual worlds, real applications. InfoWorld, 18(48), 57–59.Google Scholar
- Lopez, N. (2016). Facebook says VR headsets will look like Ray-Bans in 10 years. Retrieved May, 2015, from http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2016/04/12/facebook-says-will-vr-headsets-size-normal-glasses-next-10-years/#gref.
- Mann, M. K., Liu-Thompkins, Y., Watson, G. S., & Papelis, Y. E. (2015). a multidisciplinary examination of 3d virtual shopping environments: Effects on consumer perceptual and physiological responses, ideas in marketing: Finding the new and polishing the old. (752–755). Springer International Publishing,Google Scholar
- Milnes, H. (2016). VR isn’t scalable’: Bursting the in-store digital tech bubble. Retrieved on May, 2015, from http://digiday.com/brands/retailtech2016-vr-isnt-scalable-bursting-the-in-store-digital-tech-bubble/.
- Nesbit, T. (2014). Sephora’s augmented reality mirror adds virtual makeup to customers’ faces. Retrieved May, 2016, from http://www.psfk.com/2014/06/sephora-augmented-reality-mirror-try-on-makeup.html?utm.
- Owyang, J. (2010). Disruptive technology—the new reality will be augmented. Customer Relationship Management Magazine, 32(2), 32–33.Google Scholar
- Podeszwa, M. & Baron, K. (2016). CES: ModiFace updates ar beauty makeover tool. Retrieved January, 2016 from http://blog.decodedfashion.com/stories/ces-modiface-updates-ar-beauty-makeover-tool.
- Reitmayr, G. & Drummond, T. (2006). Going out: robust model-based tracking for outdoor augmented reality, Proceedings of the 5th IEEE and ACM International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality.Google Scholar
- Sainsbury (1995). Sainsbury’s wins race to develop world’s first virtual reality supermarket. Assembly Automation, 15(4):5–10.Google Scholar
- Sherman, W. R., & Craig, A. B. (2002). Understanding virtual reality: Interface, application, and design. San Francisco: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Sukaviriya, N., Podlaseck, M., Kjeldsen, R., Levas, A., Pingali, G. & Pinhanez, C. (2003). Augmenting a retail environment using steerable interactive displays, Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 978–979.Google Scholar
- Summerour, J. (2001). Virtual reality. Progressive Grocer, 80(8), 25–28.Google Scholar
- Tabuchi, H. (2015). Tommy Hilfiger introduces virtual reality headsets for shoppers. Retrieved February, 2015, from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/21/business/tommy-hilfiger-introduces-virtual-reality-headsets-for-shoppers.html.
- Tăbușcă, A. (2014). Augmented reality–need, opportunity or fashion’. Journal of Information Systems & Operations Management, 8(2), 5–10.Google Scholar
- Whyte, J. (2002). Virtual reality and the built environment. San Francisco: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Williamson, M. (1996). Virtual shopping takes stage at retail show. Computing Canada, 22, 20–22.Google Scholar
- Woods, A. (2009). Augmented reality: Reality check. Revolution Magazine, 1, 36–39.Google Scholar
- Zugara (2015). The webcam social shopper (WSS). Retrieved April, 2015, from http://zugara.com/virtual-dressing-room-technology/webcam-social-shopper#prettyPhoto/3/.