Cloud Computing: The Emergence of the 5th Utility
This chapter provides an overview of the evolution of the Cloud Computing (CC) Software as a Service (SaaS) concept and its emergence of the 5th utility. Within CC, SaaS is defined as a software licencing and hosted delivery model in which software is licensed on a subscription basis and delivered as a service over the Internet. The chapter goes on to discuss SaaS under the utility model, highlighting the key criteria to be considered when building a sustainable SaaS revenue model.
- Berkovich, M., Esch, S., Leimeister, J. M., & Krcmar, H. (2010). Towards requirements engineering for “software as a service”. Göttingen: MKWI Gottingen.Google Scholar
- Boss, G., Malladi, P., Quan, D., Legregni, L., & Hall, H. (2007). Cloud Computing (pp. 224–231, IBM White Paper, 321). IBM Corporation.Google Scholar
- Columbus, L. (2017). Roundup of Cloud Computing forecasts, 2017. Tech/ #InTheCloud. Available at: www.forbes.com. Accessed June 2017.
- Del Ray, J. (2017). Amazon’s massive AWS outage was caused by human error. Recode [Internet]. Available at: https://www.recode.net/2017/3/2/14792636/amazon-aws-internet-outage-cause-human-error-incorrect-command. Accessed June 2017.
- Fox, A. (2009). Above the Clouds: A Berkeley view of Cloud Computing. Berkeley: UC Berkeley.Google Scholar
- Frantsvog, D., Seymour, T., & Freneymon, J. (2012). Cloud Computing. International Journal of Management & Information Systems, 16(4), 317–324.Google Scholar
- Greene, D. (2016). Keynote Speaker. WIRED Business Conference [Internet]. Available at: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/xh0oHV_bEl_/2016+Wired+Business+Conference/rV4Vq-4GvBd/Diane+Greene. Accessed Apr 2017.
- Hinssen, P. (2011). Keynote Speaker. Tech Thought Leader Series [Internet]. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IMfBrBIf90. Accessed May 2017.
- International Data Corporation. (2016, January). Worldwide semiannual public services spending guide [Internet]. Available at: https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS40960516. Accessed May 2017.
- Lavigne, D., & Kavis, M. (2010, April). Editorial: Cloud Services. Open Source Business Resource [Internet]. Available at: http://timreview.ca/article/338. Accessed Aug 2016.
- Lewis, G. A. (2012). The role of standards in Cloud-computing interoperability. Hanscom: Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University.Google Scholar
- Linthicum, D. S. (2010). Cloud Computing and SOA convergence in your enterprise: A step-by-step guide. Upper Saddle River: Addison-Wesley Information Technology Series.Google Scholar
- Liu, F., Tong, J., Mao, J., Bohn, R., Messina, J., Badger, L., & Leaf, D. (2011). NIST Cloud Computing reference architecture. NIST Special Publication, 500, 292.Google Scholar
- Luoma, E., Ronkko, M., & Tyrvainen, P. (2012). Current software-as-a-service business models: Evidence from Finland. In M. A. Cusumano, B. Iyer, & N. Venkatraman (Eds.), International Conference of Software Business (ICSOB 2012), (Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing (LNBIP), Vol. 114, pp. 181–194). Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Meeker, M., Pitz, B., & Fitzgerald, B. (2010, June). Internet trends (Private paper). US: Morgan Stanley Research [Internet]. Available at: http://188.8.131.52/F10Data/HYBG_NEW/DOC/180.pdf. Accessed Aug 2013.
- Mell, P., & Grance, T. (2011). The NIST definition of Cloud Computing (National Institute of Standards and Technology special publication, 800-145). Gaithersburg: US Department of Commerce.Google Scholar
- Sotomayor, B., Montero, R. S., Llorente, I. M., & Foster, I. (2009). Virtual infrastructure management in private and hybrid Clouds. Internet Computing IEEE, 13(5), 14–22.Google Scholar
- Stanley, M. (2011, May 23). Cloud Computing takes off: Market set to boom as migration accelerates (Morgan Stanley Blue Paper) [Internet]. Available at: http://www.morganstanley.com/views/ perspectives/Cloud_computing.pdf. Accessed Aug 2013.
- Weiss, A. (2007). Computing in the Clouds. Network, 11(4), 16–25.Google Scholar