Using Energy Crops for Biofuels or Food: The Choice
Since the development of bioenergy and the novelty of growing edible crops for non-food uses such as biomass, people have been preoccupied with a series of important questions: What are the short- and long-term consequences of such a dramatic change in the use of crops? What is the impact of this shift on food supply, food prices, and global nutrition? What is the cost that humanity might be asked to pay in order to minimize fossil fuel use?
- 1.HLPE (2013) Biofuels and food security. A report by the High-Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition of the Committee on World Food Security, 13–14, Rome. http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/hlpe/hlpe_documents/HLPE_Reports/HLPEReport-5_Biofuels_and_food_security.pdf). Accessed 22 Nov 2016
- 2.Rosillo-Calle F (2012) Food versus fuel: toward a new paradigm—the need for a holistic approach, Centre for Environmental Policy, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London SW7 1NA, UK, International Scholarly Research Network, ISRN Renewable Energy, Vol 2012, Article ID 954180, 15 pages. https://doi.org/10.5402/2012/954180. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2012/954180/. Accessed 12 Dec 2016
- 3.The World Health Report (2005) http://www.who.int/whr/2005/en/. Accessed 19 Feb 2017
- 4.Louise O (2006) Fresco Biomass for food or fuel: Is there a dilemma? Universiteit van Amsterdam Member of the Supervisory Board of Rabobank Nederland, The Duisenberg Lecture | Singapore. http://www.globalbioenergy.org/uploads/media/0609_Biomass_for_food_or_fuel.pdf. Accessed 12 Dec 2016
- 5.Pimentel D et al (2009) Food versus biofuels: environmental and economic costs. Human Ecol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10745-009-9215-8. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225484051_Food_Versus_Biofuels_Environmental_and_Economic_Costs. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10745-009-9215-8. Accessed 12 Dec 2016
- 6.Maunonen K (2009) Energy from field energy crops—a handbook for energy producers, Jyväskylä Innovation Oy & MTT Agrifood Research Finland. www.encrop.net, https://ec.europa.eu/energy/intelligent/projects/sites/iee-projects/files/projects/documents/encrop_international_handbook_for_energy_producers.pdf. Accessed 12 Dec 2016