The Peanut Genome: An Introduction
Peanut is an important oilseed and legume crop with global relevance to food and nutritional security in addition to source of income to millions of stallholder farmers of the Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. Low genetic diversity in cultivated genepool and ploidy differences between different genepools have been the two important genetic bottlenecks hampering use of molecular breeding approaches for peanut improvement. Nevertheless, recent advances in genomics research have elevated the status of peanut from “resource-poor” to “genomic resource-rich” crop and therefore, it is an obligation to the peanut research community across the world to adopt a holistic approach including use of genomics information and tools in crop improvement programs. In this context, this book provides up-to-date information on the progress made in last 5 years in peanut genomics with a particular focus on the latest genomic findings, tools, and strategies employed in genome sequencing, transcriptomics, trait mapping, and molecular breeding approaches. This chapter by providing an overview of the contents of the book presents a big picture on the current status of peanut genome and allied information and its potential applications for peanut improvement.
- Clevenger J, Chu Y, Chavarro C, Agarwal G, Bertioli DJ, Leal-Bertioli SCM, Pandey MK, Vaughn J, Abernathy B, Barkley N, Hovav R, Burow M, Nayak SN, Chitikineni A, Isleib T, Holbrook C, Jackson SA, Varshney RK, Ozias-Akins P (2017) Genome-wide SNP genotyping resolves signatures of selection and tetrasomic recombination in peanut. Mol Plant 10:309–322Google Scholar
- Goff SA, Ricke D, Lan TH et al (2002) A draft sequence of the rice genome (Oryza sativa L. ssp. japonica). Science 296(5565):92–100Google Scholar
- Janila P, Variath MT, Pandey MK, Desmae H, Motagi B, Okori P, Manohar SS, Rathnakumar AL, Radhakrishnan T, Boshou Liao, Varshney Rajeev K (2016) Genomic tools in groundnut breeding program: status and perspectives. Frontiers in Plant Science 7:289. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.00289 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Pandey MK, Agarwal G, Kale SM, Clevenger J, Nayak SN, Sriswathi M, Chitikineni A, Chavarro C, Chen X, Upadhyaya HD, Vishwakarma MK, Leal-Bertioli S, Liang X, Bertioli DJ, Guo B, Jackson SA, Ozias-Akins P, Varshney RK (2017) Development and evaluation of a high density genotyping ‘Axiom_Arachis’ array with 58K SNPs for accelerating genetics and breeding in groundnut. Sci Rep 7:40577 Google Scholar
- Varshney RK, Mohan SM, Gaur PM, Gangarao NVPR, Pandey MK, Bohra A, Sawargaonkar S, Kimurto PK, Janila P, Saxena KB, Fikre A, Sharma M, Pratap A, Tripathi, S Datta, SK Chaturvedi, G Anuradha, A Babbar, RG Chaudhary, MB Mhase, CH Bharadwaj S, Mannur DM, Harer PN, Guo B, Liang X, Nadarajan N, Gowda CLL (2013) Achievements and prospects of genomics-assisted breeding in three legume crops of the semi-arid tropics. Biotechnol Adv 31:1120–1134 Google Scholar