The Visibility of Women’s Ageing and Agency in Suzanne Lacy’s The Crystal Quilt (1987) and Silver Action (2013)
This chapter examines The Crystal Quilt (1987) and Silver Action (2013), two major participatory works by American visual artist Suzanne Lacy. A key concern in Lacy’s work is the potential of provocative conversations to activate awareness around pressing social, economic and political issues and how these, in turn, intersect with women’s everyday lives. Although separated by a quarter of a century, both works engaged nearly 400 women from different class and social backgrounds over the age of 60 in structured conversations. This chapter considers The Crystal Quilt and Silver Action in terms of the visibility of women’s ageing and agency and it analyses the possibilities that cultural representations of ageing women hold for the production of knowledge and social change.
- Barnett, Laura. 2013. Tate Modern’s Women’s Liberation Army. The Guardian, Jan 29. Accessed 22 Nov 2016. https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/jan/29/tate-modern-womens-liberation-army.
- Basting, Anne Davis. 1996. Amnesia Interrupted: Re-Membering the Living Past in Feminist Theory and Suzanne Lacy’s Crystal Quilt. Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism. 11 (1): 55–80.Google Scholar
- Bronner, Simon. 2015. Encyclopedia of American Folklife. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Brown, Betty Ann. 1995. Some Thoughts on the History of Community Building as an Art Form. Community Properties, 6–12. Huntington Beach: Huntington Beach Art Center.Google Scholar
- Callahan, Nancy. 2005. Freedom Quilting Bee: Folk Art and the Civil Rights Movement in Alabama. Tuscaloosa: The University of Alabama Press.Google Scholar
- CDC/NCHS. 2010. Life Expectancy at Birth, at 65 Years of Age, and at 75 Years of Age, by Race and Sex: United States, Selected Years 1900–2007. CDC/NCHS, National Vital Statistics System; Grove RD, Hetzel AM. Accessed 23 Feb 2017. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2010/022.pdf.
- Chivers, Sally. 2003. From Old Woman to Older Women: Contemporary Culture and Women’s Narratives. Columbus: Ohio State Press.Google Scholar
- Dopson, Harriet. 2012. Suzanne Lacy: The Crystal Quilt. One Stop Arts, Aug 20. Accessed 28 Nov 2016. http://onestoparts.com/review-suzanne-lacy-crystal-quilt.
- Forster Communications. 2013. Loud and Proud, Feb 13. Accessed 28 Nov 2016. http://www.forster.co.uk/insight/loud-and-proud/#.UR0nWQzU-GM.twitter .
- Garoian, Charles R. 1999. Performing Pedagogy: Toward an Art of Politics. New York: SUNY Press.Google Scholar
- Gilheaney, Peter. 2013. Silver Action—The Social Media Story of an Event. Accessed 8 Nov 2016. https://storify.com/petergilheany/silver-action-the-social-media-story-of-an-event.
- Gullette, Margaret Morganroth. 2015. Aged by Culture. Routledge Handbook of Cultural Gerontology, eds. Julia Twigg and Wendy Morgan, 21–28. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hayward-Tapp, Caitlin. 2013. Ripening, Not Aging. The F Word. Accessed 10 Nov 2016. https://www.thefword.org.uk/2012/07/suzanne_lacy_interview/.
- Hennessy, Mark. 2016. Post-Brexit Poll Shows Gulf between Young and Old Voters. Irish Times, June 27. Accessed 23 Nov 2016. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/post-brexit-poll-shows-gulf-between-young-and-old-voters-1.2701611.
- Holstein, Martha. 2015. Women in Late Life: Critical Perspectives on Gender and Age. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Lacy, Suzanne. 1987. The Crystal Quilt. Accessed 8 Nov 2016. http://www.suzannelacy.com/early-works/#/the-crystal-quilt/.
- Lacy, Suzanne. 2013. Silver Action. Accessed 8 Nov 2016. http://www.suzannelacy.com/recent-works/#/silver-action-2013/.
- Long, Catherine. 2013. Silver Action—Talking Across the Generations. In A Compendium of Essays: Has the Sisterhood Forgotten Older Women?, eds. Sally-Marie Bamford and Jessica Watson, 31–33. London: International Longevity Centre—UK.Google Scholar
- Lyons, Imogen. 2009. Public Perceptions of Older People and Ageing: A Literature Review. Dublin: National Centre for the Protection of Older People and Health Services Executive. http://www.ncpop.ie/Year%201%20Reports/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20NCPOP%20Lit%20Rev%201%20IL%2001_12_09Cover%20inc22_01_10.pdf.
- McNally, Michael David. 2009. Honoring Elders: Aging, Authority, and Ojibwe Religion. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, Michelle. 2013. Older Women and Care: Are They Invisible to the Sisterhood? In A Compendium of Essays: Has the Sisterhood Forgotten Older Women? eds. Sally-Marie Bamford and Jessica Watson, 55–58. London: International Longevity Centre—UK.Google Scholar
- Novak, Mark. 2015. Issues in Aging. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- 2002. Obituary: Avis F. Foley. Accessed 28 Nov 2016. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/twincities/obituary.aspx?n=avis-f-foley&pid=219642.
- O’Neil, Moira, and Abigail Haydon. 2015. Aging, Agency and Attribution of Responsibility: Shifting Public Discourse about Older Adults. Washington, DC: FrameWorks Institute.Google Scholar
- Owen, Jonathan. 2013. The Women who Changed Britain Forever. Independent, Feb 3. Accessed 31 Dec 2016. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-women-who-changed-britain-forever-8478498.html.
- Robertson, Kirsty. 2014. Quilts for the Twenty-First Century: Activism in the Expanding Field of Quilting. In Handbook of Textiles, eds. Janis Jefferies, Hazel Clark, and Diana Wood Conroy, 197–210. London: Bloomsbury Press.Google Scholar
- Segal, Lynne. 2013. Out of Time: The Pleasures and Perils of Ageing. London: Verso Books.Google Scholar
- Showalter, Elaine. 2013. Introduction. In Out of Time: The Pleasures and the Perils of Ageing, ed. Lynne Segal, 15–29. London: Verso Books.Google Scholar
- State of Minnesota. State Bird. Accessed 27 Dec 2016. https://mn.gov/portal/about-minnesota/state-symbols/bird.jsp.
- Twigg, Julia, and Wendy Martin. 2014. The Challenge of Cultural Gerontology. The Gerontologist, 00.00: 1–7. Accessed 23 April 2017. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Julia_Twigg/publication/263474947_The_Challenge_of_Cultural_Gerontology/links/53e7292e0cf2fb7487218706/The-Challenge-of-Cultural-Gerontology.pdf.
- Victor, Christina. 2004. The Social Context of Ageing: A Textbook of Gerontology. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Woodward, Kathleen. 1999. Introduction. Figuring Age: Women, Bodies, Generations, ed. Kathleen Woodward, ix–xxx. Indiana: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar