Advertisement

Archiginnasio

  • Gabriella Bernardi
Chapter
Part of the Springer Biographies book series (SPRINGERBIOGS)

Abstract

The “Studium” (study) or university headquarters was the Archiginnasio palace, very close to the Basilica of San Petronio, the main church of Bologna. It was built there by Pope Pius IV, at his own expense, in 1563, to host teachers and pupils. The choice of the location, just 12 m from the Basilica, was not accidental because he did not want San Petronio to become larger than St. Peter’s, in Rome, so he simply put a physical barrier to stop the growth of the rival building.

Copyright information

© Springer International Publishing AG 2017

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.TorinoItaly

Personalised recommendations