Practical Industrial Mathematics: Between Industry and Academia
Teknova is a small research institute located in the southern part of Norway. We collaborate closely with several metallurgical companies, among others, within industrial mathematics. Two cases from challenging, interdisciplinary projects are presented: One case where the proper non-dimensionalized equation is applied to derive the electrical regimes relevant for smelting furnaces, and one showing how a mathematical point of view largely can enhance simulations based on metallurgical background.
We have experienced that many factors are required to succeed in our projects within industrial mathematics: Trust, technical/industrial competence, broad mathematical competence, translator skills, and proper network. Our role is between industry and academia. We will not succeed without proper and extensive cooperation with ‘both worlds’.
This paper is published as part of the project Electrical Conditions and their Process Interactions in High Temperature Metallurgical Reactors (ElMet), in short Electrical Conditions in Metal Processes (ElMet), with financial support from The Research Council of Norway and the companies Alcoa, Elkem and Eramet.
The project Metallurgical Scale-up was funded by The Regional Research Fund Agder (RFF Agder).
- 1.Bermúdez, A., Cregan, V., Gómez, D., Rial, A., Vázquez, R., Halvorsen, S.: Electric scale-up for a slag heating furnace. In: Bermúdez, A., Manteiga, W., Quintela, P., Vilar, J. (eds.) Proceedings of the 97th European Study Group with Industry (ESGI), Santiago de Santiago de Compostela, Spain (2015). http://math-in.net/97ESGI/imagenes/97ESGI.pdf Google Scholar
- 2.Dhainaut, M.: Simulation of the electric field in a submerged arc furnace. In: Proceedings of the Tenth International Ferroalloy Congress (INFACON X), Cape Town, South Africa, pp. 605–613 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Halvorsen, S., Schlanbusch, R., Shinkevich, S.: Mathematical models for metallurgical scale-up. In: Proceedings of the fourteenth International Ferroalloys Congress (INFACON XIV), Kiev, Ukraine, pp. 588–597 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Halvorsen, S., Olsen, H., Fromreide, M.: An efficient simulation method for current and power distribution in 3-phase electrical smelting furnaces. IFAC-PapersOnLine 49(20), 167–172 (2016). doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.10.115. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405896316316780; 17th Symposium on Control, Optimization and Automation in Mining, Mineral and Metal Processing (IFAC MMM), 2016 Vienna, Austria, 31 August–2 September 2016
- 5.Schlanbusch, R., Halvorsen, S., Shinkevich, S., Gómez, D.: Electrical scale-up of metallurgical processes. In: Proceedings of the 2014 COMSOL Conference, Cambridge, UK, pp. 7–31 (2014). https://www.comsol.com/paper/electrical-scale-up-of-metallurgical-processes-18321