Peter Kennedy’s The Photographs’ Story: The Dialectical Image as Research
- 360 Downloads
Creative practice as research in moving image and sound has, since the 1960s, been central to the methodologies and works of many moving image artists in Australia. Peter Kennedy’s conceptual, performance, installation and light works mobilize radical political insight with richly complex formal strategies. Kennedy’s recent The Photographs’ Story (2015), working with a set of still photographs depicting the death of Mohammad Al-Dura in Gaza in June 2000, is examined for the manner in which formal strategies in moving image installation can be understood as a series of propositions regarding creative practice as research, arguing that the ‘poetic dimension’ of a work of art is the heart of its critical knowledge and the image, the vehicle for its transmission.
- Barthes, R. (1984). Camera Lucida. London: Fontana.Google Scholar
- Beilharz, P. (1998). Departures and Arrivals, catalogue essay. In Requiem for Ghosts. Melbourne: Australian Centre for Contemporary Art.Google Scholar
- Benjamin, W. (1999, first pub. 1934). The Author as Producer (E. Jephcott, Trans.). In Walter Benjamin, Selected Writings, Volume 2, 1927–1934 (pp. 768–782). Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Benjamin, W. (1973, first pub. 1939). On Some Motifs in Baudelaire (H. Zorn, Trans.). In Illuminations (Fontana) (pp. 155–200).Google Scholar
- Benjamin, W. (1989). N [Re: The Theory of Knowledge, Theory of Progress] (L. Hafrey & R. Sieburth, Trans.). In G. Smith (Ed.), Benjamin: Philosophy, Aesthetics, History (pp. 43–83). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Google Scholar
- Bollas, C. (2009). The Evocative Object World. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Brennan, T. (1995). History After Lacan. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Costello, D., & Willsdon, D. (2008). Life and Death of Images: Ethics and Aesthetics. London: Tate.Google Scholar
- Cramer, S. (1989). Inhibodress 1970–1972, exhibition catalogue. Brisbane: Institute of Modern Art.Google Scholar
- Cumming, J. (2014). The Films of John Hughes: A History of Independent Screen Production in Australia. Melbourne: Atom.Google Scholar
- Derrida, J. (1997, first pub. 1967). Of Grammatology (C. Spivak, Trans.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Engberg, J. (1998). …And…, catalogue essay. In Requiem for Ghosts. Melbourne: Australian Centre for Contemporary Art.Google Scholar
- Fallows, J. (2003). Who Shot Mohammed Al-Dura? The Atlantic Monthly, 291(5) (June), pp. 49–56.Google Scholar
- Flusser, V. (2000). Towards a Philosophy of Photography (A. Mathews, Trans.). London: Reaktion.Google Scholar
- Gibson, R. (2015). Changescapes: Complexity Mutability Aesthetics. Crawley, WA: University of Washington.Google Scholar
- Haese, R. (2011). Permanent Revolution: Mike Brown and the Australian Avant-Garde 1953–1997. Melbourne: Miegunyah Press.Google Scholar
- Hansen, M. B. (2008). Benjamin’s Aura. Critical Inquiry, 34(Winter), 336–375.Google Scholar
- Hogenkamp, B. (1977). Workers Newsreels in the 1920s and 1930s. Our History 68 (History Group of the Communist Party, London).Google Scholar
- Jones, L. (2009). Ways of Proposing. In E. Grierson et al. (Eds), Creative Arts Research: Narratives of Methodologies and Practices (pp. 75–76). Rotterdam: Sense Publishing.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, C. (1989). Peter Kennedy interviewed by Sue Cramer. In Inhibodress 1970–1972. Brisbane: Institute of Modern Art.Google Scholar
- Llewellyn, J. (2016, June 20). Experimental Resistance. Adelaide Review, p. 35, http://adelaidereview.com.au/arts/visual-arts/peter-kennedys-experimental-resistance/.
- Marsh, A. (1993). Body and Self: Performance Art in Australia 1969–92. London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Marsh, A. (1995, May). Unmapped: The Political Dialogue of an Artist. Globe, 1. http://www.artdes.monash.edu.au/non-cms/globe/pktxt.html. Accessed 13 July 2016.
- Marsh, A. (2011). Poetics, Politics and Silent Music, Peter Kennedy Interviewed by Anne Marsh, Globe, 8. http://www.artdes.monash.edu.au/non-cms/globe/issue8/pk1txt.html.
- Marsh, A. (2014). Performance_Ritual_Document. Melbourne: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Meek, A. (1998). Benjamin, the Televisual and the “Fascistic Subject”. Screening the Past, 4 (September).Google Scholar
- Perelman, M. (2007, September 26). French Court Takes a Fresh Look at Intifada’s Most Violently Disputed Image. Forward, A1, A8.Google Scholar
- Perkins, M. (Ed.). (2014). Video Void: Australian Video Art. Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing.Google Scholar
- Perkins, M. (Ed.). (2016). Resistance: Peter Kennedy, Curated by Matthew Perkins, catalogue notes. Adelaide: Australian Experimental Art Foundation. http://www.aeaf.org.au/exhibitions/PKE.html. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- Schapira, E. (2003, September 15). Letter to the Editor, The Atlantic Monthly (see also, https://vimeo.com/63979143).
- Sebald, W. G. (2001). Austerlitz. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Smith, B. (1993). Chorus: From the Breath of Wings, catalogue essay. Heide, Germany: Museum of Modern Art.Google Scholar
- Sontag, S. (2003). Regarding the Pain of Others. London: Penguin Hamish Hamilton.Google Scholar
- Thoms, A. (2012). My Generation. Sydney: Media 21 Publishing.Google Scholar
- Underhill, N. (2000). Peter Kennedy: Breaking down the Barriers. Art & Australia, 38(1) (Spring), pp. 98–103.Google Scholar