Layer upon Layer: The Position of Inter-municipal Cooperation in the Spanish Quasi-Federal System—The Case of Catalonia
The Spanish local system is characterized by strong fragmentation and a large number of local territorial entities in a quasi-federal system. This implies the interactions of different overlapping layers of institutions and multi-governmental organizations. Thus, Spain, and Catalonia can be seen as a paradigmatic example of the way cooperation works and as a suitable case study for analysing the institutional position of inter-municipal cooperation in a complex system. In this chapter, we explore the interactions of the different agents in order to identify and analyse the key factors and explanatory variables of the diverse relationships and ties.
This research was supported by the programme CSO2013-48641-C2-1-R (Ministry of Economy) Project—Local Government Reform, efficiency, re-scaling and democracy (LoGoRef) and also by the programme from the Catalan Government 2014 SGR 838.
- Bertrana, X., Espinosa, M., & Magre, J. (2011). Spain. In H. Heinelt & X. Bertrana (Eds.), The second tier of local government in Europe: Provinces, counties, départements and Landkreise in comparison (pp. 224–248). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- de Mello, L., & Lago-Peñas, S. (2013). Local government cooperation for joint provision: The experiences of Brazil and Spain with inter-municipal consortia. In S. Lago-Peñas & J. Martinez-Vazquez (Eds.), The challenge of local government sizes: Theoretical perspectives, international experience and policy reform (pp. 221–241). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hooghe, L., & Marks, G. (2003). Unraveling the central state, but how? Types of multi-level governance. The American Political Science Review, 97(2), 233–243. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/3118206
- Lago-Peñas, S., & Martinez-Vazquez, J. (Eds.). (2013). The challenge of local government sizes: Theoretical perspectives, international experience and policy reform. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. Retrieved from http://books.google.com.au/books/about/The_Challenge_of_Local_Government_Sizes.html?id=YIKMmAEACAAJ&pgis=1
- Oates, W. E. (2011). Fiscal federalism. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Teles, F. (2016). Local government and inter-municipal cooperation. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Warner, M. E. (2006). Inter-municipal cooperation in the U.S: A regional governance solution? Urban Public Economics Review, 6, 221–239.Google Scholar