Indian Ocean Maritime Security Strategic Risk Assessment
- 426 Downloads
Major risks that impact the achievement of strategic objectives and, consequently, the security of the Indian Ocean region maritime system are outlined. Generic evaluation criteria are defined to enable likelihood, consequences and overall risk impacts to be assessed. Nineteen strategic risks are identified, along with shared vulnerabilities. These are cross-referenced to the 15 strategic objectives discussed in Chap. 3. Relationships are not linear; in many cases, objectives are affected by multiple risks and vice versa; cumulative and aggregated risks must also be considered. Risks to maritime navigation, sovereignty, energy and environment, and those from the lack of regional security architectures are high on the list. Understanding risks and vulnerabilities aids in targeting opportunities for improvements and enhancements to regional maritime security. A necessary basis is provided for risk treatment and vulnerability reduction efforts.
- Australian/New Zealand Standards (AS/NZS 2009). 2009. Risk Management – Principles and Guidelines, AS/NZS ISO 31000:2009. Sydney: Standards Australia.Google Scholar
- Bateman, Sam. 2012. China’s New Maritime Regulations: Do They Accord with International Law? RSIS Commentaries No. 220/2012. Singapore: Nanyang Technological University.Google Scholar
- Cordner, Lee. 2013. Offshore Oil and Gas Safety and Security in the Asia Pacific: The Need for Regional Approaches to Managing Risks. RSIS Monograph No. 26. Singapore: S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies. http://www.rsis.edu.sg/publications/monographs/Monograph26.pdf. Accessed 6 Mar 2017.
- Fraser, John, and Betty J. Simkins, eds. 2010. Enterprise Risk Management. Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007a. Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report. http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/syr/en/contents.html. Accessed 27 Aug 2013.
- ———. 2007b. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, edited by Martin Parry, Osvaldo Canziani, Jean Palutikof, Paul van der Linden, and Clair Hanson. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/publications_ipcc_fourth_assessment_report_wg2_report_impacts_adaptation_and_vulnerability.htm. Accessed 27 Aug 2013.
- ———. 2013. Summary for Policymakers. In Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, ed. T.F. Stocker, D. Qin, G.K. Plattner, M. Tignor, S.K. Allen, J. Boschung, A. Nauels, Y. Xia, V. Bex, and P.M. Midgley. Cambridge/New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- International Maritime Organization (IMO). 1974. International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974 (SOLAS). Adopted November 1, 1974. Entered into force generally May 25, 1980.Google Scholar
- ———. 1979. International Convention on Maritime Search and Rescue 1979. Adopted April 27, 1979. Entered into force generally June 22, 1985.Google Scholar
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO). 2010. HB 158–2010: Handbook – Delivering Assurance Based on ISO 31000:2009 Risk Management – Principles and Guidelines. 2nd ed. Sydney: International Organization for Standardization.Google Scholar
- Kraska, James. 2012. I.O. 2.0: Indian Ocean Security and the Law of the Sea. Georgetown Journal of International Law 43 (2): 433–493.Google Scholar
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). 1978. Kuwait Regional Convention for Cooperation on the Protection of the Marine Environment from Pollution (Kuwait Convention). Adopted April 24, 1978, in force July 1, 1979. http://www.unep.org/regionalseas/programmes/nonunep/ropme/instruments/default.asp. Accessed 6 Sept 2012.
- United States (US) Department of Defense (DoD). 2014. Freedom of Navigation (FON) Report for Fiscal Year (FY) 2013. http://policy.defense.gov/Portals/11/Documents/gsa/cwmd/FY2013%20DOD%20Annual%20FON%20Report.pdf. Accessed 14 Mar.