Privacy-Utility Feature Selection as a tool in Private Data Classification
This paper presents a novel framework for privacy aware collaborative information sharing for data classification. Two data holders participating in this information sharing system, for global benefits are interested to model a classifier on whole dataset, if a certain amount of privacy is guaranteed. To address this issue, we propose a privacy mechanism approach based on privacy-utility feature selection, which by eliminating the most irrelevant set of features in terms of accuracy and privacy, guarantees the privacy requirements of data providers, whilst the data remain practically useful for classification. Due to the fact that the proposed trade-off metric is required to be exploited on whole dataset, secure weighted average protocol is utilized to protect information leakage in each site.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was partially supported by the H2020 EU funded project NeCS [GA #675320] and by the H2020 EU funded project C3ISP [GA #700294].
- 1. Artoisenet, C., Roland, M., Closon, M.: Health networks: actors, professional relationships, and controversies. In: Collaborative Patient Centred eHealth. vol. 141. IOSPress (2013)Google Scholar
- 2. Banerjee, M., Chakravarty, S.: Privacy preserving feature selection for distributed data using virtual dimension. In: Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, CIKM. pp. 2281–2284 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3. Bertino, E., Lin, D., Jiang, W.: A survey of quantification of privacy preserving data mining algorithms. In: Privacy-Preserving Data Mining, vol. 34, pp. 183–205. Springer US (2008)Google Scholar
- 4. Bogan, C.E., English, M.J.: Benchmarking for best practices: winning through innovative adaptation. New York: McGraw-Hill (1994)Google Scholar
- 5. Chandrashekar, G., Sahin, F.: A survey on feature selection methods. Comput. Electr. Eng. 40(1), 16–28 (Jan 2014)Google Scholar
- 6. Faiella, M.F., Marra, A.L., Martinelli, F., Francesco, Saracino, A., Sheikhalishahi, M.: A distributed framework for collaborative and dynamic analysis of android malware. In: 25th Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed, and Network-Based Processing (PDP), St. Petersburg, Russia (2017)Google Scholar
- 7. Guyon, I., Elisseeff, A.: An introduction to variable and feature selection. Journal of Machine Learning 3, 1157–1182 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8. Jafer, Y., Matwin, S., Sokolova, M.: Task oriented privacy preserving data publishing using feature selection. In: Advances in Artificial Intelligence - 27th Canadian Conference on Artificial Intelligence. pp. 143–154 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9. Jafer, Y., Matwin, S., Sokolova, M.: A framework for a privacy-aware feature selection evaluation measure. In: 13th Annual Conference on Privacy, Security and Trust, PST 2015, Izmir, Turkey, July 21-23, 2015. pp. 62–69 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10. Jha, S., Kruger, L., McDaniel, P.: Privacy Preserving Clustering, pp. 397–417. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Berlin, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 11. Martinelli, F., Saracino, A., Sheikhalishahi, M.: Modeling privacy aware information sharing systems: A formal and general approach. In: 15th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (2016)Google Scholar
- 12. Oliveira, S.R.M., Zaïane, O.R.: Privacy preserving frequent itemset mining. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Privacy, Security and Data Mining - Volume 14. pp. 43–54. CRPIT ’14 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13. Sheikhalishahi, M., Mejri, M., Tawbi, N., Martinelli, F.: Privacy-aware data sharing in a tree-based categorical clustering algorithm. In: Foundations and Practice of Security - 9th International Symposium, FPS 2016, Québec City, QC, Canada. pp. 161–178 (2016)Google Scholar