Complications in Robotic Single Port Surgery
Here in this chapter, we wish to outline the surgical complications specific to robotic laparoendoscopic single-site (R-LESS) surgery. This is an emerging field, and only a few centers of excellence in the world have attempted R-LESS urological procedures. Although many of the possible complications of conventional laparoscopy are inherent to R-LESS urologic surgery, they have yet to be identified by the limited number of surgical cases which have been reported in current literature. The aim of this chapter is to review the literature on R-LESS urologic surgery, describe the complications, and suggest the management strategies for each complication.
KeywordsRobotic surgery Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery Partial nephrectomy/nephrectomy Pyeloplasty Prostatectomy Cystoprostatectomy Adrenalectomy
- 1.Hirano D, Minei S, Yamaguchi K, et al. Retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy for adrenal tumors via a single large port. J Endourol. 2005;19:788–792. Available at: http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/end.2005.19.788. Accessed 6 Mar 2017.
- 2.Rané A, Rao P, Rao P. Single-port-access nephrectomy and other laparoscopic urologic procedures using a novel laparoscopic port (R-port). Urology. 2008;72:260–263–4. Available at: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S009042950800383X. Accessed 6 Mar 2017.
- 3.Kaouk JH, Goel RK, Haber G-P, et al. Robotic single-port transumbilical surgery in humans: initial report. BJU Int. 2009;103(3):366–9.Google Scholar
- 4.Kaouk JH, Goel RK, Haber GP, et al. Robotic single-port transumbilical surgery in humans: initial report. BJU Int. 2008;103:366–9.Google Scholar
- 5.Young Shin T, Kiat Lim S, Komninos C, et al. Laparoendoscopic single-site (LESS) robot-assisted partial nephrectomy (RAPN) reduces postoperative wound pain without a rise in complication rates. BJU Int 2014;114:555–562.Google Scholar
- 6.Lee JW, Raymond F, Arkoncel P, et al. Urologic robot-assisted laparoendoscopic single-site surgery using a homemade single-port device: a single-center experience of 68 cases. J Endourol. 2011;25(9):1481–5.Google Scholar
- 7.White MA, Autorino R, Spana G, et al. Robotic Laparoendoscopic single site urological surgery: analysis of 50 consecutive cases. JURO. 2012;187:1696–701.Google Scholar
- 9.Kaouk JH, Haber G-P, Autorino R, et al. Platinum priority – Endo-urology a novel robotic system for single-port urologic surgery: first clinical investigation. Eur Urol. 2014;66:1033–1043. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2014.06.039. Accessed 18 Aug 2016.
- 11.Forrest JB, Quentin Clemens CJ, Finamore P, et al. Best practice statement for the prevention of deep vein thrombosis in patients undergoing urologic surgery. Available at: https://www.auanet.org/common/pdf/education/clinical-guidance/Deep-Vein-Thrombosis.pdf. Accessed 7 Mar 2017.
- 12.Stein RJ, White WM, Goel RK, et al. Robotic laparoendoscopic single-site surgery using GelPort as the access platform.Eur Urol 2009;7:3–2.Google Scholar
- 19.Fareed K, Zaytoun OM, Autorino R, et al. Robotic single port suprapubic transvesical enucleation of the prostate (R-STEP): initial experience. BJU Int. 2012;110:732–737. Available at: http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.10954.x. Accessed 6 Mar 2017.