Negotiating Popular Mandate and the Sovereignty of God in Iran
- 671 Downloads
Iran’s political system benefits from dual sources of legitimacy, which seemingly enables Iran’s ruling clergy to proclaim their system to be the ultimate representation of a perfect political system, one that brings Islam and democracy together. Questioning this propaganda-laden claim, we suggest that this duality has embedded an inherent contradiction between the theory and practice of an Islamic Republic. Indeed, it is for this reason that elected and appointed offices in Iran have been continually embroiled in tense relations since the inception of the Islamic Republic. Elaborating on the country’s electoral rules and procedures, it is suggested that despite the vetting of candidates by the appointed Guardian Council, Iranian elections are highly competitive and revolve around issues of national importance such as the economy and social issues. This chapter offers a detailed investigation of the challenges that have arisen from the inherited contradiction between divine and popular sovereignty, which has gained considerable credence during Hassan Rouhani’s presidency. This inherent contradiction at times appears to tilt in favour of popular sovereignty. However, that is only because the political elite are acutely aware of the fact that without the illusion of popular rule, the regime could very well be cast aside, mirroring the fate of the Pahlavi regime. It is argued that Rouhani’s achievements do not address the contradiction between divine and popular sovereignty, but rather illuminate the astute political calculations made in the top echelons of power in order to create a semblance of popular rule. This chapter argues that the Iranian system of government is based on a clear hierarchy of authority in which divine sovereignty in the form of velāyat-e faqih hovers over the empty shell of democracy.
KeywordsIslamic Republic Guardian Council Divine Sovereignty Popular Sovereignty Khamenei
- Ansari, A. (2007). ‘Chapter One: The Rafsanjani and Khatami Presidencies,’ Adelphi Papers 47/393, 11–22.Google Scholar
- Ebadi, S. (2006). Iran awakening (pp. 104–105). London: Rider.Google Scholar
- Ehteshami, A., & Zweiri, M. (2007). Iran and the rise of the neo-conservatives: The politics of Iran’s silent revolution (p. 71). London: I.B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Ghobadzadeh, N. (2015). Religious secularity: Theological challenge to the Islamic state (p. 5). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Holliday, S. ( 2011). Defining Iran: Politics of Resistance. Farnham: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Iran. (1997). The constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Tehran: Department of Translation and Publication, Islamic Culture and Relations Organization (Articles 110 and 112).Google Scholar
- Khamenei, A. (2013, March 21). ‘Bīānāt dar haram-e motahar-e razavī [Statement at the Holy Shrine of Imam Reza]’. Khamenei.ir. Viewed 17 September 2014. http://farsi.khamenei.ir/speech-content?id=22233.
- Khamenei, A. (2013, September 5). Āmrīkā darbāreh-e sūrīeh khatā mīkonad va qaṭʿan żarar khāhad kard [America is making mistakes regarding Syria and will certainly lose]. Fars News. http://www.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=13920614000362. Accessed February 9, 2015.
- Khamenei, A. (2013, September 17). Bayānāt dar dīdār-e farmāndehān-e sepāh-e pāsadārān-e engelāb-e eslāmī [Remarks at the meeting with the commanders of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps]. Khamenei.ir. http://farsi.khamenei.ir/speech-content?id=24033. Accessed September 28, 2015.
- Khamenei, A. (2013, June 4). ‘Election should Create Political Epic in Iran’. Mehr News. Viewed on 21 July 2015, http://en.mehrnews.com/news/55534/Election-should-create-political-epic-in-Iran.
- Khamenei, A. (2013, June 12). Ḣattā kasānī keh ḥāmī neẓām nīstand beh khāṭer-e keshvar rāī bedahand [Even those who do not support the regime should vote for the country]. BBC Persian. http://www.bbc.com/persian/iran/2013/06/130612_l39_khamenei_election_ir92.shtml. Accessed September 1, 2015.
- Khamenei, A. (2013, September 9). Vażʿīyat-e manṭaqeh dar emtedād-e rūyārūyī chand qarnī eslām va gharb ast [The regional conditions are many centuries of confrontation between Islam and the west]. Hamshahri. http://www.hamshahrionline.ir/details/230422. Accessed February 9, 2015.
- Khamenei, A. (2014, March 21). Bayānāt dar haram-e motahar-e razavī [Statement at the Holy Shrine of Imam Reza]. Khamenei.ir (2013). Viewed 17 September 2014. http://farsi.khamenei.ir/speech-content?id=22233.
- Khamenei, A. (2014, March 6). Dīdār-e aʿżā-ye majles-e khobregān bā rahbar-e enghelāb [The meeting of the assembly of experts with the leader of the revolution]. Khamenei.ir. http://farsi.khamenei.ir/news-content?id=25686. Accessed September 14, 2014.
- Khamenei, A. (2014, June 23). Rahkar-e az beyn raftan-e esra’il bargozari referendum ast [The solution to the destruction of Israel is the holding of a referendum]. Radio Farda. http://www.radiofarda.com/content/f4_khamenei_israel_destroy_referendum/25467971.html. Accessed September 4, 2015.
- Khamenei, A. (2015, August 26). Dīdār-e rāʾīs-e jomhūrī va aʿżā-ye heyʾat-e dowlat bā rahbar-e enqelāb [The meeting of the president and cabinet with the leader of the revolution]. Khamenei.ir. http://farsi.khamenei.ir/news-content?id=30581. Accessed September 1, 2015.
- Khamenei, A. (2015, June 4). Election should create political epic in Iran. Mehr News. Viewed on 21 July 2015. http://en.mehrnews.com/news/55534/Election-should-create-political-epic-in-Iran.
- Khamenei, A. (2015, July 18). Khoṭbeh-hā-ye namāz-e ʿeyd-e feṭr [Sermon on Eid al-Fitr]. Khamenei.ir. http://farsi.khamenei.ir/speech-content?id=30331. Accessed September 7, 2015.
- Khorasani, W. (2015, February 26). Tavakol bar khodāvand va tavasol beh ḥażrat-e valī ʿaṣr (ʿaley-he salām) rāh-e ḥal tafavoq bar moshkelāt [Trust in god and recourse to the hidden Imam (peace be upon him) is the solution to overcoming difficulties]. Wahid Khorasani. http://wahidkhorasani.com/فارسی/اخبار/محتوا/256_توکل-بر-خداوند-و-توسل-به-حضرت-ولی-عصر-علیه-السلام-راه-حل-تفوق-بر-مشکلات. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Maloney, S. (2008). Iran’s long reach: Iran as a pivotal state in the Muslim world (pp. 22–23). Washington, DC: United States Institute for Peace.Google Scholar
- Maloney, S. (2008). Iran’s long reach: Iran as a pivotal state in the Muslim world (pp. 7–8). Washington, DC: United States Institute for Peace.Google Scholar
- Mesbah-Yazdi, M. (2015, June 3). Sokhanān-e ṣarīḥ-e ʿalāmeh-e meṣbāḥ yazdī [The explicit remarks of the Cleric Mesbah-Yazdi]. Raja News. http://www.rajanews.com/news/174544. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Moghadam-Far, H. (2015, August 15). Sokhanī bā barādar-e motaʿahed va enqelābī jenāb-e āqā-ye hoseyn-e sharīʿatmadārī [A talk with the committed and revolutionary brother, excellency Mr. Hossein Shariatmadari]. Tasnim. http://www.tasnimnews.com/Home/Single/830790. Accessed September 1, 2015.
- Natāyej-e tāzehtarīn nażarsanjī yek markaz-e moʿtabar: ḥassan-e rowḥānī bā 23.3 darṣad bīshtarīn rāy rā dārad/ qālībāf dar rotbeh-e dovvom [Latest results from the polls of the official centre: Rouhani has the most votes by 23.3 percent/Qalibaf is in second place]. Aftab (2013), June 3. Viewed on 21 July 2015. http://aftabnews.ir/fa/news/195989/.
- Nouri-Hamedani, N. (2015, January 27). Moẕākeheh-e konandegān motadayen va enqelābī hastand [The negotiators are Pious and revolutionary]. http://dolat.ir/NSite/FullStory/News/?Serv=12&Id=259187. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Nouri-Hamedani, N. (2015, April 27). Vākonesh-e marājeʿ-e taqlīd beh dīdgāh-e ʿadam-e masʾūlīat-e polīs barā-ye ejrā-ye eslām [Responses of the clerics to comments on the absence of police responsibility in implementing Islam]. Fars News. http://farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=13940207001222. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Rouhani, H. (2013, May 27). Rāhbord-e ḥassan-e rowḥānī barā-ye możākereh bā āmrīkā [Hassan Rouhani’s strategy for relations with America]. Entekhab. Viewed on 21 July 2015. http://www.entekhab.ir/fa/news/113445/.
- Rouhani, H. (2014, May 31). Rouhani says state should not have religion on its side. Mehr News. http://en.mehrnews.com/news/102967/Rouhani-says-state-should-not-have-religion-on-its-side. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Rouhani, H. (2015, January 28). Emām (r.h.) ān rūz keh żarūrī būd rāh-e ṣolḥ rā bargozīd [The Imam preferred the path of peace when it was necessary]. ISNA. http://www.isna.ir/fa/news/93110804879/. Accessed February 2, 2015.
- Rouhani, H. (2015, August 31). Matn-e sokhanan-e ra’is-e jomhuri dar kongereh-e bein olmellalli 17 hezar shahid-e terur [Text of the President’s Words at the International Congress on the 17,000 Victims of Terror]. President.ir. http://www.president.ir/fa/89084. Accessed September 2, 2015.
- Rouhani, H. (2015, June 1). Presidential candidates elaborate on economic plans. Mehr News. Viewed on 21 July 2015. http://en.mehrnews.com/news/55487/Presidential-candidates-elaborate-on-economic-plans.
- Rouhani, H. (2015, June 12). Rohani calls for moderation, Shuns Extremism. Mehr News (2013). Viewed on 21 July 2015. http://en.mehrnews.com/news/55602/Rohani-calls-for-moderation-shuns-extremism.
- Rouhani, H. (2015, June 10). Rohani says Fallacy that casting Ballots has no effect is “Word of Satan”. Mehr News. Viewed on 21 July 2015. http://en.mehrnews.com/news/55583/Rohani-says-fallacy-that-casting-ballots-has-no-effect-is-word.
- Rouhani, H. (2015, May 29). Rouhani vows to bring moderation to the country. Mehr News. Viewed on 21 July 2015. http://en.mehrnews.com/news/55458/Rohani-vows-to-bring-moderation-to-the-country.
- Shariatmadari, H. (2015, August 14). Tanhā gozīneh-e pīsh ravī (yāddāsht-e rūz) [Only one option for success (note of the day)]. Kayhan. http://kayhan.ir/fa/news/52516/. Accessed September 1, 2015.
- Tazmini, G. (2009). Khatami’s Iran: The Islamic Republic and the Turbulent Path to Reform. IB Taurus: London.Google Scholar
- Tezcür, G. M., Azadarmaki T., & Bahar, M.(2012). Support for Democracy in Iran.’ Political Research Quarterly, 65(2), 235–247.Google Scholar