2016 and the Future: Changing the Governance Paradigm as Well as the Operating Environment if Not the Financial Context
This final chapter describes and discusses some of the changes and proposals that have emerged in 2016 and looks briefly into the future. The change of a prime minister occasioned by the result of the referendum on membership of the European Union (EU) has accelerated the passage of the 2017 Crime and Policing Act with its proposals for Police and Crime Commissioners to take direct responsibility for Fire and Rescue Services. The legislation also proposes to re-establish an independent inspectorate, new national standards and a new and more transparent accountability framework. That is for another book as the end of 2016 provides an appropriate place to close our narrative.
KeywordsCrime and Policing Bill Home Office control Further restructuring Police and Crime Commissioners Mayors
- Audit Scotland. (2015). Scottish fire and rescue service. Edinburgh: Audit Scotland.Google Scholar
- Conservative Party. (2015). The conservative party manifesto: Strong leadership, a clear economic plan, a brighter, more secure future. London: The Conservative Party.Google Scholar
- Fire Safe Europe. (2016). Call to action: The EU needs a fire safety strategy. Available at firesafeeurope.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/The-EU-needs-a-Fire-Safety-Strategy-1.pdf.Google Scholar
- Her Majesty’s Government. (2016). Enabling closer working between the emergency services: Summary of consultation responses and next steps. London: TSO.Google Scholar
- Home Office. (2015). Consultation: Enabling closer working between the emergency services. London: TSO.Google Scholar
- Home Office. (2016a). Home Secretary’s speech Police and Crime Commissioners the choice is yours. 13th April 2016. Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/announcements?departments%5B%5D=home-office&page=3.
- Home Office. (2016b). Home Secretary’s Police Federation Conference 2016 Speech 17th May 2016. https://www.gov.uk/government/announcements?departments%5B%5D=home-office&page=3.
- Home Office. (2016c). Home Secretary’s speech to the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners 26th May 2016. https://www.gov.uk/government/announcements?departments%5B%5D=home-office&page=3.
- Home Office. (2016d) Home Secretary speech on fire reform: Home Secretary Theresa May addresses audiennce at Reform event. 24th May 2016. Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/homeseretary-speech-on-fire-reform.
- House of Commons Library. (2016) Fire service funding in England London House of Commons.Google Scholar
- Murphy, P. (2015). Plans to merge fire and police services have dodged proper scrutiny. Putting police in charge of firefighters could lead to neglect of emergency services – Something the sham public consultation failed to mention. The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077.Google Scholar
- National Audit Office. (2015a). Financial sustainability of fire and rescue services value for money report. London: NAO.Google Scholar
- National Audit Office. (2015b). Financial sustainability of fire and rescue services local government report. London: NAO.Google Scholar
- Public Accounts Committee. (2016). Financial sustainability of fire and rescue services. London: House of Commons.Google Scholar
- Scottish Government. (2016). Fire and rescue framework for Scotland 2016. Edinburgh: Scottish Government.Google Scholar
- Sherman, J. (2016, August 22). May to abandon Osbourne’s plan for regional mayors. The Times.Google Scholar