Couch Grass: Ethics of the Rhizome
Ethics is about mattering, about taking account of the entangled materializations of which we are part, including new configurations, new subjectivities, new possibilities – even the smallest cuts matter (Barad 2007, 384).
This essay takes the artist Bianca Hester’s invitation to engage with the exhibition, please leave these windows open overnight to enable the fans to draw in cool air during the early hours of the morning, as an opportunity to investigate an ethical call, a call that makes a demand andrequires a response from those who accept this invitation. Through addressing the dynamics produced by and through this invitation, the essay asks what is expected of a participant in order that they may “leave the windows open” and enable new configurations and relationalities to emerge. It directs our questioning to how we might prepare ourselves to be open to such a challenge and sets out to sketch a “user’s guide” to attune us to this task. By adopting principles of carefulness,...
I would like to thank Bianca Hester for her generosity in the preparation of this essay. I very much appreciated her responsiveness and critical engagement with the text and for permission to reproduces the images.
- Australian Centre for contemporary art. 2010. In Please leave these windows open overnight to enable the fans to draw in cool air during the early hours of the morning. At https://www.accaonline.org.au/exhibition/bianca-hester-please-leave-these-windows-open-overnight-enable-fans-draw-cool-air-during>. Accessed 1 June 2015.
- Benjamin, Andrew. 2010. Stalling: Notes on the work of Bianca Hester. In Please leave these windows open overnight to enable the fans to draw in cool air during the early hours of the morning. Melbourne: Australian Centre for Contemporary Art.Google Scholar
- Bolt, Barbara. 2004. Art beyond representation: The performative power of the image. London: I.B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Bolt, Barbara. 2011. Heidegger reframed: Interpreting key thinkers for the arts. London: I.B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Buckley, Jennifer. 2013. The ghosts of the Avant-Garde(s): Exorcising experimental theater and performance. Comparative Drama 47(4). http://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-360679909/james-m-harding-the-ghosts-of-the-avant-garde-s. Accessed 1 May 2014.
- Colman, Felicity. 2005. Rhizome. In The Deleuze dictionary, ed. Adrian Parr, 211–213. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gilles, and Felix Guattari. 1987. Thousand plateaus: Capitalism and schizophrenia. Translation and foreword B. Massumi, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, Gilles, and Felix Guattari. 1994. What is philosophy? New York, NY: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Ednie-Brown, Pia. 2012. Supervising emergence: Adapting ethics approval frameworks towards research by creative project. In Supervising practices for postgraduate research in art, architecture and design, eds. Brent Allpress, Robyn Barnacle, Lesley Duxbury, and Elizabeth Grierson, 103–116. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Haraway, Donna. 1991. Simians, Cyborgs, and Women: The Reinvention of Nature. London: Free AssociationGoogle Scholar
- Heidegger, M. 1977. The question concerning technology and other essays, translated with an introduction by William Lovitt, 115–154. New York and London: Garland Publishing.Google Scholar
- Heidegger, Martin. 1977. The question concerning technology and other essays. Trans. W. Lovitt. New York and London: Garland Publishing.Google Scholar
- Hester, Bianca. 2013. Unpublished conference paper. ‘Shaggy Edge of Open’, Art Association of Australia and New Zealand, AAANZ conference, Melbourne, December 2013.Google Scholar
- Hester, Bianca. 2014. Leave the windows open. Australian Centre for Contemporary Art. At https://www.accaonline.org.au/leave-windows-open-rewind-2010. Accessed 5 Jul 2015.
- MacCormack, Patricia. 2012. Posthuman ethics: Embodiment and cultural theory. London: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Marks, John. 2005. Ethics. In The Deleuze dictionary, ed. Adrian Parr, 85–86. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Morton, Timothy. 2010. Morton, The Ecological thought. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Murray, Philippa. 2012. A Moment in movement: the indeterminate interior. Presented Interior: a State of Becoming, a symposium presented by IDEA: Interior Design, Interior Architecture Educators Association, Perth, 2012. At http://idea-edu.com/symposiums/2012-interior-a-state-of-becoming/2012-symposium-proceedings-full-papers/. Accessed 1 May 2014.
- Sauvagnargues, Anne. 2013. Deleuze and art. Trans. Samantha Bankston. London: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Varela, Francesco. 1999. Ethical know-how: Action, wisdom and cognition. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Verwoert, Jan. 2009. Personal support: How to care? In Support structures. Berlin and New York: Sternberg Press.Google Scholar