Displacement Assessment of Rock Socketed Shafts: A Numerical Approach
Settlement assessment of shallow/deep foundations, under the working load range, has to be assessed to complete the design of any foundation system. The settlement of shafts resting on or socketed into sound rock is generally negligible. Settlement may be significant for shafts socketed into weak rock. Numerical approaches are among the promising tools that can be adopted to assess the settlement of piles socketed into rock. This study presents the results of a proposed numerical modeling scheme to predict the vertical displacement of socketed shafts. A comparison between the predicted and the monitored responses is presented to evaluate the viability of the proposed numerical scheme to assess the socketed shafts vertical displacement. A good comparison is exhibited between the results of the proposed model and those of the monitored test pile. In addition, the results of a sensitivity study are presented to highlight the influence of some numerical analysis parameters such as the rock-shaft interface strength, the shear strength characteristics and the deformation modulus of the rock formation on the predicted numerical response.
- Carter J.P. and Kulhawy F.H.: Analysis and design of drilled shaft foundations socketed into rock. Report EL-5918. Palo Alto: Electric Power Research Institute, 190 p (1988)Google Scholar
- Donald, I.B., Sloan, S.N., Chiu, H.K.: Theoretical analysis of rock-socketed piles. Proc. Int. Conf. Struct. Found. Rock 1, 303–316 (1980). Sydney, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- Mattes, N.S., Poulos, H.G.: Settlement of single compressible pile. J. Soil Mech. Found. Div. 95(SM1), 189–207 (1969)Google Scholar
- Osterberg, J.O., Gill, S.A.: Load transfer mechanism for piers socketed in hard soils or rock. In: Proceedings of 9th Canadian Symposium on Rock Mechanics, pp. 235–262, Montreal, ON, Canada (1973)Google Scholar
- Randolph, M.F., Wroth, C.P.: Analysis of deformation of vertically loaded piles. J. Geotech. Eng. Div. 104(GT12), 1465–1488 (1978)Google Scholar
- Rowe, R.K., Pells, P.J.N.: A theoretical study of pile-rock socket behavior. Proc. Int. Conf. Struct. Found. Rock 1, 253–264 (1980). Sydney, AustraliaGoogle Scholar