Optimizing Least-Cost Steiner Tree in Graphs via an Encoding-Free Genetic Algorithm
Most bio-inspired algorithms for solving the Steiner tree problem (STP) require the procedures of encoding and decoding. The frequent operations on both encoding and decoding inevitably result in serious time consumption and extra memory overhead, and then reduced the algorithms’ practicability. If a bio-inspired algorithm is encoding-free, its practicability will be improved. Being motivated by this thinking, this article presents an encoding-free genetic algorithm in solving the STP. To verify our proposed algorithm’s validity and investigate its performance, detailed simulations were carried out. Some insights in this article may also have significance for reference when solving the other problems related to the topological optimization.
KeywordsSteiner tree problem Genetic algorithm Encoding-free Tree-based genotype
This research is supported in part by National Science Foundation of China (No. 61502385, No. 61401354, No. 61503299), Key Basic Research Fund of Shaanxi Province (2016JQ6015), and Scientific Research Program Funded by Shaanxi Provincial Education Department (No. 16JK1554).
- 3.Li, Z., Shi, H.: A data-aggregation algorithm based on minimum Steiner tree in wireless sensor networks. J. Northwest. Polytech. Univ. 27(4), 558–564 (2009). (in Chinese with an English abstract)Google Scholar
- 8.Gary, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-completeness (1979)Google Scholar
- 10.Fan, Y., Jianjun, Yu., Fang, Z.: Hybrid genetic simulated annealing algorithm based on niching for QoS multicast routing. J. Commun. 29(5), 65–71 (2008). (in Chinese with an English abstract)Google Scholar
- 11.Ma, X., Liu, Q.: A particle swarm optimization for Steiner tree problem. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC), pp. 2561–2565 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhong, W.L., Huang, J., Zhang, J.: A novel particle swarm optimization for the Steiner tree problem in graphs. In: IEEE World Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 2460–2467 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Ma, X., Liu, Q.: An artificial fish swarm algorithm for Steiner tree problem. In: IEEE-FUZZ, pp. 59–63 (2009)Google Scholar