Improving Multi-layer Particle Swarm Optimization Using Powell Method
In recent years, multi-layer particle swarm optimization (MLPSO) has been applied in various global optimization problems for its superior performance. However, fast convergence speed leads the algorithm easy to converge to the local minimum. Therefore, MLPSO-Powell algorithm is proposed in this paper, selecting several swarm particles by the tournament operator in each generation to run Powell algorithm. MLPSO global searching performance with Powell local searching performance forces swarm particles to search more optima as much as possible, then it will rapidly converge as soon as it gets close to the global optimum. MLPSO-Powell enhances local search ability of PSO in dealing with multi-modal problems. The experimental results shows that the proposed approach improves performance and final results.
KeywordsMulti-layer particle swarm optimization Powell Particle Swarm Optimization Tournament
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant No. 61573166, No. 61572230, No. 61373054, No. 61472164, No. 61472163, No. 61672262, No. 61640218. Shandong Provincial Natural Science Foundation, China, under Grant ZR2015JL025. Science and technology project of Shandong Province under Grant No. 2015GGX101025. Project of Shandong Province Higher Educational Science and Technology Program under Grant No. J16LN07. Shandong Provincial Key R&D Program under Grant No. 2016ZDJS01A12.
- 1.Eberhart, R., Kennedy, J.: A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, MHS 1995, pp. 39–43. IEEE, October 1995Google Scholar
- 3.Shi, Y., Eberhart, R.: A modified particle swarm optimizer. In: Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation. IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, pp. 69–73. IEEE, May 1998Google Scholar
- 4.Suganthan, P.N.: Particle swarm optimiser with neighbourhood operator. In: Proceedings of the 1999 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC 1999, vol. 3, pp. 1958–1962. IEEE (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Liang, J.J., Suganthan, P.N.: Dynamic multi-swarm particle swarm optimizer with local search. In: The 2005 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 1, pp. 522–528. IEEE, September 2005Google Scholar
- 9.Susilo, A.: Comprehensive learning particle swarm optimizer (CLPSO) for global optimization of multimodal functions. Undergraduate theses (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Wang, L., Yang, B., Chen, Y., Zhang, X., Orchard, J.: Improving neural-network classifiers using nearest neighbor partitioning. IEEE Trans. Neural Netw. Learn. Syst. (2016). doi: 10.1109/TNNLS.2016.2580570
- 18.Suganthan, P.N., Hansen, N., Liang, J.J., Deb, K., Chen, Y.P., Auger, A., Tiwari, S.: Problem definitions and evaluation criteria for the CEC 2005 special session on real-parameter optimization. KanGAL report 2005005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in natural and artificial systems. MIT Press (1992)Google Scholar
- 20.Yuhui, S., Eberhart, R.C.: Empirical study of particle swarm optimization (1999)Google Scholar