Comparative Analysis of Swarm-Based Metaheuristic Algorithms on Benchmark Functions
Swarm-based metaheuristic algorithms inspired from swarm systems in nature have produced remarkable results while solving complex optimization problems. This is due to their capability of decentralized control of search agents able to explore search environment more effectively. The large number of metaheuristics sometimes puzzle beginners and practitioners where to start with. This experimental study covers 10 swarm-based metaheuristic algorithms introduced in last decade to be investigated on their performances on 12 test functions of high dimensions with diverse features of modality, scalability, and valley landscape. Based on simulations, it can be concluded that firefly algorithm outperformed rest of the algorithms while tested unimodal functions. On multimodal functions, animal migration algorithm produced outstanding results as compared to rest of the methods. In future, further investigation can be conducted on relating benchmark functions to real-world optimization problem so that metaheuristic algorithms can be grouped according to suitability of problem characteristics.
KeywordsSwarm-intelligence Swarm-based algorithms Metaheuristic Benchmark functions
The authors would like to thank Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM), Malaysia for supporting this research under Postgraduate Incentive Research Grant, Vote No. U560.
- 1.Amudhavel, J., Kumarakrishnan, S., Anantharaj, B., Padmashree, D., Harinee, S., Kumar, K.P.: A novel bio-inspired krill herd optimization in wireless ad-hoc network (WANET) for effective routing. In: Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Advanced Research in Computer Science Engineering & Technology (ICARCSET 2015), p. 28. ACM (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Karaboga, D.: An idea based on honey bee swarm for numerical optimization. Report, Technical report-tr06, Erciyes University, Engineering Faculty, Computer Engineering Department (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Wang, G.G., Deb, S., dos Coelho, L.S.: Elephant herding optimization. In: 2015 3rd International Symposium on Computational and Business Intelligence (ISCBI), pp. 1–5. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Yang, X.S.: Firefly algorithm. In: Nature-Inspired Metaheuristic Algorithms, vol. 20, pp. 79–90 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Yang, X.S.: A New Metaheuristic Bat-Inspired Algorithm, pp. 65–74. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar