In Vitro Incubation of Ovarian Follicles of Cultured Siberian Sturgeon, Acipenser baerii Brandt: A Short Practical Implementation and Its Fundamentals
This chapter is a practical description of the implementation of the in vitro maturation competence (IVMC) bioassay which is the decision-maker tool to choose the appropriate time (and then the suitable physiological status of the female) to hormonally inject the female with the best probability to get good-quality ovulated eggs. Brief recalls of involved organs, tissues, endocrine pathways. A detailed description of the procedure with the support of illustrations of the main tools is provided. A specific section is devoted to the incubation medium. The chronology of the diverse steps of the procedure is provided as well as the needed tools. Some comments on applications are given.
KeywordsSiberian sturgeon Ovarian follicles Oocyte In vitro maturation competence (IVMC) Endocrine pathways Incubation medium
- Goncharov B, Williot P, Le Menn F (1999) Morphological and physiological characteristics of the ovarian follicles of farmed Siberian sturgeon and their importance for predicting artificial reproduction success. Rus J Develop Biol 30(1):46–54Google Scholar
- Williot P (1997a) Reproduction de l’esturgeon sibérien (Acipenser baerii Brandt) en élevage: gestion des génitrices, compétence à la maturation in vitro de follicules ovariens et caractéristiques plasmatiques durant l’induction de la ponte. Thèse no 1822, Université Bordeaux I, 227 pGoogle Scholar
- Williot P (1997b) Effects of incubation media on maturation of isolated ovarian follicles of Siberian sturgeon (Acipenser baerii Brandt) induced by sturgeon gonadotropic preparation or 17α, 20β, dihydroxy progesterone. Comp Biochem Physiol 118c:285–293Google Scholar
- Williot P (2002) Reproduction des esturgeons. In: Billard R (ed) Esturgeons et caviar. Lavoisier Tech et Doc, Paris, pp 63–90Google Scholar
- Williot P, Brun R, Rouault T et al (1991) Management of female spawners of the Siberian sturgeon, Acipenser baeri Brandt: first results. In: Williot P (ed) Acipenser. Cemagref Publ, Antony, France, pp 365–379Google Scholar