A New Modelling Approach to Represent the DCF Mechanism of the CSMA/CA Protocol
- 328 Downloads
In this paper, a Markovian agent model is used to represent the behavior of wireless nodes based on CSMA/CA access method. This kind of network was usually modeled by means of bidimensional Markov Chains and more recently using semi-Markov process based models. Both these approaches are based on the assumptions of both full load network and independence of collision probability with respect to retransmission count of each packet. Our model inherently releases the latter hypothesis since it is not necessary to establish a constant collision probability at steady state.
Here, we investigate the correctness of our approach analyzing the throughput of a network based on two IEEE 802.11g nodes when the amount of traffic sent by each one varies. Results have been compared with Omnet++ simulations and show the validity of the proposed model.
- 1.IEEE Std 802.11-2012: IEEE Standard for Information technology-telecommunications and information exchange between systems Local and metropolitan area networks-Specific requirements part 11: wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications, (Revision of IEEE Std 802.11-2007), pp. 1–2793, March 2012Google Scholar
- 3.Kadiyala, M.K., Shikha, D., Pendse, R., Jaggi, N.: Semi-Markov process based model for performance analysis of wireless LANs. In: 2011 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops (PERCOM Workshops), pp. 613–618, March 2011Google Scholar
- 4.Wang, H., Kang, G., Huang, K.: An advanced Semi-Markov process model for performance analysis of wireless LANs. In: 2012 IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Fall), pp. 1–5, September 2012Google Scholar
- 5.Prasad, Y.R.V., Pachamuthu, R.: Analytical model of adaptive CSMA-CA MAC for reliable and timely clustered wireless multi-hop communication. In: 2014 IEEE World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT), pp. 212–217, March 2014Google Scholar
- 9.Stajkic, A., Buratti, C., Verdone, R.: Modeling multi-hop CSMA-based networks through semi-Markov chains. In: 2015 International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), pp. 520–525, August 2015Google Scholar
- 10.Gribaudo, M., Cerotti, D., Bobbio, A.: Analysis of on-off policies in sensor networks using interacting markovian agents. In: Sixth Annual IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, 2008. PerCom 2008, pp. 300–305, March 2008Google Scholar
- 11.Bruneo, D., Scarpa, M., Bobbio, A., Cerotti, D., Gribaudo, M.: Markovian agent modeling swarm intelligence algorithms in wireless sensor networks. Performance Evaluation 69(3–4), 135–149 (2012). Selected papers from ValueTools 2009. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166531611000137CrossRefGoogle Scholar