Defining the Entrepreneurial Mindset
The purpose of this chapter is to provide an introduction and definition of the entrepreneurial mindset, taking into consideration literature and research from the discipline of entrepreneurship. What is the entrepreneurial mindset? To arrive at a definition, we must first dig into the meaning of the words “entrepreneurial” and “mindset” separately. We start by examining the definition of mindset, which serves as our foundation, and then move on to what it means to be entrepreneurial.
- Byers, T., Seelig, T., Sheppard, S., and Weilerstein, P. 2013. Entrepreneurship: Its role in engineering education. The Bridge on Undergraduate Engineering Education 43 (2): 35–40.Google Scholar
- Drucker, P.F. 1985a. The Discipline of innovation. Harvard Business Review.Google Scholar
- Drucker, P.F. 1985b. Innovation and Entrepreneurship Practice and Principles. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Dweck, C.S. 2006. Mindset: The new psychology of success. New York: Ballantine Books.Google Scholar
- McGrath, R.G. and I. MacMillan. 2000. The Entrepreneurial Mindset. Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Neck, H.M., P.G. Greene, and C.G. Brush. 2014. Teaching Entrepreneurship: A Practice-based Approach. Edward Elgar Pub.Google Scholar
- Sarasvathy, Saras. 2005. What makes entrepreneurs entrepreneurial? Darden Business Publishing.Google Scholar
- Schumpter, J.A. 1942. Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy. Harpers and Brothers.Google Scholar
- Shane, S., and S. Venkataraman. 2000. The promise of entrepreneurship as a field of research. Academy of Management Review 25 (1): 217–226.Google Scholar
- Stevenson, H. 1983. A perspective on entrepreneurship. Harvard Business School Publishing. Boston, MA. Google Scholar
- Thum, Myrko. 2012. The right mindset: Change your mindset in 6 Steps. Retrieved from: http://www.myrkothum.com/mindset/.
- Zappe, S., K. Hochstedt, and E. Kisenwether. 2013. Teaching to innovate: Beliefs and perceptions of instructors who teach entrepreneurship to engineering students. International Journal of Engineering Education 29 (1): 45–62.Google Scholar