Interaction of the IoT Traffic Generated by a Smart City Segment with SDN Core Network
- 1.1k Downloads
The main purpose of this article is to test IoT management system based on SDN core network, as well as interaction IoT traffic with SDN-switches. To conduct investigation of management system and network infrastructure behavior we carried out several IoT traffic tests, which were generated based on partnership project oneM2M specification. In this work, we considered “Smart city” model for Central district of Saint-Petersburg (Russia). During the testing of the network infrastructure were identified several parameters such as number of simultaneously supported sessions by the Mikrotik switch using different transport protocols, was proposed a recommendation for dynamically changing virtual buffers. During the testing of the IoT management system, we define reliability of IoT data management service for determined equipment in traffic conditions of the “Smart City”. Also, we estimate relationship between RTT parameter using various IoT protocols and heterogeneous traffic in conjunction with “Smart city” segment in SDN network. In order to investigate the influence of the SDN network on the RTT traffic parameter of a large number of IoT and the condition of its transmission in conjunction with heterogeneous traffic in the network, a full-scale experiment was conducted on the developed model, which in turn reflected a possible distribution scheme of a certain monitoring and control system for the Central District Saint-Petersburg. The aim of the study is also to consider the possibility of implementing the IoT data management service as a central management system for monitoring urban ecological parameters in a dense buildings environment.
KeywordsIoT SDN Data management API Smart city Round trip time Mikrotik switches
The publication was financially supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (the Agreement number 02.a03.21.0008), RFBR according to the research project No. 17-57-80102 “Small Medium-sized Enterprise Data Analytics in Real Time for Smart Cities Applications”.
- 2.Bowerman, B., Braverman, J, Taylor, J., Todosow, H., von Wimmersperg, U.: The vision of a smart city. In: 2nd International Life Extension Technology Workshop, Paris (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Fujdiak, R., Masek, P., Mlynek, P., Misurec, J., Muthanna, A.: Advanced optimization method for improving the urban traffic management. In: 18th Conference of Open Innovations Association and Seminar on Information Security and Protection of Information Technology (FRUCT-ISPIT), pp. 48–53. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Kirichek, R., Pirmagomedov, R., Glushakov, R., Koucheryavy, A.: Live substance in cyberspace — biodriver system. In: 18th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), pp. 274–278. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Alsmadi, I.M., AlAzzam, I., Akour, M.: A systematic literature review on software-defined networking. In: Alsmadi, I.M., Karabatis, G., AlEroud, A. (eds.) Information Fusion for Cyber-Security Analytics. SCI, vol. 691, pp. 333–369. Springer, Cham (2017). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-44257-0_14 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kirichek, R., Vladyko, A., Paramonov, A., Koucheryavy, A.: Software-defined architecture for flying ubiquitous sensor networking. In: 19th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), pp. 158–162 (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Akyildiz, I.F., Lee, A., Wang, P., Luo, M., Chou, W.: A roadmap for traffic engineering in SDN-OpenFlow networks. Comput. Netw. 71(9–10), 1–30 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Kirichek, R., Vladyko, A., Zakharov, M., Koucheryavy, A.: Model networks for Internet of Things and SDN. In: 18th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), pp. 76–79. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Koucheryavy, A.: State of the art and research challenges for USN traffic flow models. In: 16th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), pp. 336–340. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Muthanna, A., Prokopiev, A., Koucheryavy, A.: The mixed telemetry/image USN in the overload conditions. In: 16th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), pp. 475–478. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Himayat, N., Yeh, S.-P., Panah, A.Y., Tawar, S., Gerasimenko, M., Andreev, S., Koucheryavy, Y.: Multi-radio heterogeneous networks: architectures and performance. In: Proceeding International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communication (ICNC), pp. 252–258. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Gerasimenko, M., Petrov, V., Galinina, O., Andreev, S., Koucheryavy, Y.: Energy and delay analysis of LTE-advanced RACH performance under MTC overload. In: Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), December 2012, pp. 1632–1637. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar