From Software Services to IoT Services: The Modeling Perspective
Service ontology models have been applied to many application domains to facilitate the semantic rich specifications of various types of services, including the business processes, health care, manufacturing processes, etc. Recently, many service models for the Internet of Things (IoT) domain have been proposed. However, these models are still mostly following the thoughts of software services. In this paper, we discuss some differences of the IoT services from the software services and the requirements in service modeling for IoT services due to these differences. We also extend the existing software service model to support the specification of the IoT services and things.
Keywords.Internet of things IoT service model Service computing Service ontology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Spiess, P.K.S., Guinard, D., Savio, D.: SOA-based integration of the Internet of Things in enterprise services. In: International Conference on Web Services (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Alam, S., Chowdhury, M.M., Noll, J.: SenaaS: An event-driven sensor virtualization approach for Internet of Things cloud. In: IEEE International Conference on Networked Embedded Systems for Enterprise Applications (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Nixon, T.: OASIS Devices Profile for Web Services (DPWS), Version 1.1 (2009). http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/dpws/1.1/os/wsdd-dpws-1.1-spec-os.pdf
- 4.Zhang, Y., Duan, L., Chen, J.L.: Event-driven SOA for IoT services. In: IEEE International Conference on Service Computing (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Graham, S., Niblett, P., Chappell, D., Lewis, A., Nagaratnam, N., Parikh, J., Patil, S., et al.: Publish-subscribe notification for Web services, Version 1,0 (2004). https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/6661/WSNpubsub-1-0.pdf
- 6.Hsieh, H.-C., Chang, K.-D., Wang, L.-F., Chen, J.-L., Chao, H.-C.: ScriptIoT: A script framework for Internet-of-Things applications. IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 628–636 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Botts, M., Robin, A.: OGC SensorML: Model and XML encoding standard (2014). http://www.opengis.net/doc/IS/SensorML/2.0
- 8.Compton, M., Barnaghi, P., Bermudez, L., et. al.: The SSN Ontology of the Semantic Sensor Networks Incubator Group. In: Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web (2012)Google Scholar