The Insurance Distribution Directive: What Does It Change for Intermediaries and for Others?
The objective of this chapter is to describe how the IDD contributes to greater (and/or better) consumer protection and what the main differences are with the IMD. It is also the intention to give a flavour of the EU regulatory process and some indications on the interaction of IDD with other regulations. In this respect, the author hopes that this chapter will also contribute to the identification of the areas in which the sector can start preparing for the practical consequences of the IDD. This chapter refers to the IDD as published in the Official Journal of the EU (OJEU) on 2 February 2016.
KeywordsInsurance Distribution Directive Insurance Mediation Directive Protection
- Directive 2002/92/EC. of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 December 2002 on insurance mediation (IMD I).Google Scholar
- Directive 2009/138/EC. of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 November 2009 on the taking-up and pursuit of the business of Insurance and Reinsurance (Solvency II).Google Scholar
- Directive 2014/65/EC. of the European Parliament and of the Council on markets in financial instruments (MiFID II).Google Scholar
- Directive 2016/97. of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 January 2016 on insurance distribution.Google Scholar
- Regulation (EU) No 1286/2014. of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 November 2014 on key information documents for packaged retail and insurance-based investment products (PRIIPs).Google Scholar
- European Commission’s. memo on the revision of the IMD, 3 July 2012.Google Scholar
- Jonathan Hill., EU Commissioner responsible for Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union—“Insurance distribution in the single market—Meeting consumers’ needs in the internet age”—Speech at BIPAR mid-term meetings, Brussels, 30 January 2015.Google Scholar
- Michel Barnier., EU Commissioner responsible for the Internal Market and Services, “Revision of the Insurance Mediation Directive (IMD)—A Priority: Consumer Protection”—BIPAR Conference at the European Parliament, Brussels, 19 June 2012.Google Scholar