Immersiveness of News: How Croatian Students Experienced 360-Video News
More and more media companies are experimenting with virtual reality (VR) news and at the same time new VR technology products are available and affordable to a wider audience. This paper examines the concept of immersiveness in journalism based on 360-video content, probing the main components that are prerequisites to an immersive experience: flow, cognitive absorption, and presence. The research was conducted using a questionnaire from the work of Jennett et al. (2008) which was adapted for 360-video news.
The main results from this initial phase of research showed that participants experienced two out of three main components for total immersion, but authors are drawing attention to the fact that VR content is a good way for engaging with news and triggering empathy.
KeywordsVirtual reality Immersiveness Journalism 360-video news Presence
- 1.The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB), Report: Is Virtual the New Reality? A Market Snapshot of VR Publishing and Monetisation (2016). https://www.iab.com/insights/virtual-reality/. Accessed 18 Dec 2016
- 2.Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/immerse. Accessed 10 Jan 2017
- 5.Owen et al.: Virtual Reality Journalism. Tow Centre for Digital Journalism, Columbia Journalism School. http://towcenter.org/research/virtual-reality-journalism/. Accessed 10 Jan 2017
- 7.Doyle, P., Gelman, M., Gill, S.: Viewing the Future? Virtual Reality in Journalism. Knight Foundation. https://medium.com/viewing-the-future-virtual-reality-in-journalism. Accessed 5 Jan 2017
- 8.Nakamura, J., Csikszentmihályi, M.: Flow theory and research. In: Handbook of Positive Psychology, pp. 195–206. Oxford University Press (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB), Report: Is Virtual the New Reality?: A Market Snapshot of VR Publishing and Monetisation (2016). https://www.iab.com/insights/virtual-reality/. Accessed 29 Dec 2016
- 10.Rasmussen, N.B.: 10 Great Examples of VR Media in Modern Journalism (2016). https://vrtodaymagazine.com/10-great-examples-of-vr-media-in-modern-journalism/. Accessed 10 January 2017