Estimation of control improvement benefit with α–stable distribution
- 2.5k Downloads
The paper discusses the subject of estimation of potential financial benefits achievable with the rehabilitation (modification or tuning) of the control system. This issue appears almost in any process improvement initiative giving arguments for control upgrades. The subject exists in literature for several years with well established the same limit approach. The procedure is based on the assumption of Gaussian properties of the considered variable reflected in its histogram. Review of industrial data shows frequent situations when process variables are of different character featuring long tails. Such properties are well described by α–stable distributions. This paper presents extension of the method on such general probability density functions family. The analysis is illustrated with the simulation and industrial data examples.
KeywordsStable Distribution Industrial Data Limit Rule Control Improvement Advance Process Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1. Domański, P.D.: Non–Gaussian properties of the real industrial control error in SISO loops. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on System Theory, Control and Computing. (2015)Google Scholar
- 2. Borak, S., Misiorek, A., Weron, R.: Models for heavy–tailed asset returns. In Cizek, P., Härdle, W., K., Weron, R., eds.: Statistical tools finance and insurance. 2nd edn. Springer, New York (2011) 21–56Google Scholar
- 3. Koutrouvelis, I.A.: Regression–type estimation of the parameters of stable laws. Journal of the American Statistical Association 75(372) (1980) 918–928Google Scholar
- 4. Tolfo, F.: A methodology to assess the economic returns of advanced control projects. In: American Control Conference 1983, IEEE (1983) 1141–1146Google Scholar
- 5. Bauer, M., Craig, I.K., Tolsma, E., de Beer, H.: A profit index for assessing the benefits of process control. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 46(17) (2007) 5614–5623Google Scholar
- 6. Bauer, M., Craig, I.K.: Economic assessment of advanced process control – a survey and framework. Journal of Process Control 18(1) (2008) 2–18Google Scholar
- 7. Ali, M.K.: Assessing economic benefits of advanced control. In: Process Control in the Chemical Industries, Chemical Engineering Department, King Saud University: Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (2002) 146–159Google Scholar
- 8. Domański, P.D.: Fractal measures in control performance assessment. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Methods and Models in Automation and Robotics, Miedzyzdroje, Poland (2016) 448–453Google Scholar