The Requirements of Human Factors and Ergonomics for the Safe and Comfortable Stairs Versus the Escalators
The contemporary public spaces such as train stations, airports, subway stations or great shopping centres requires vertical displacements of the great human masses. The common means used for this kind of transportation are the new inventions such as elevators, moving ramps and primarily escalator systems. The analysis on these systems in terms of compliance with requirements of the human factors, ergonomics and safety indicate a need for their further improvements. Dimensions of standard escalator steps differs much than the steps of normal comfortable stairs and in result the escalators in the stop state cannot be used as the evacuation stairs. The mismatch of escalator’s geometry and the human motoric capabilities can result in an increased risk of an accident during the specific behaviours of users, inter alia in a state of panic. The basis of presented research are author’s practical and theoretical experience in the designing of stadiums and arenas.
KeywordsHuman factors Ergonomics Escalators geometry Comfortable stairs Evacuation stairs
- 1.Pelczarski, Z.: Ergonomic aspects of the architectural designing of the stairs in the spaces for the great public gathering. In: Antona, M., Stephanidis, C. (eds.) UAHCI 2015, Part IV. LNCS, vol. 9178, pp. 468–479. Springer, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Charters, D., Fraser-Mitchell, J.: Guidance on the emergency use of lifts or escalators for evacuation and fire and rescue service operations. http://www.humancentereddesign.org/resources/guidance-emergency-use-lifts-or-escalators-evacuation-and-fire-and-rescue-service-operations. Accessed 21 Aug 2015
- 3.Pelczarski, Z.: Widownie współczesnych stadionów-determinanty i problemy projektowe, (Grandstands of contemporary stadiums - determinants and design problems), Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Bialostockiej, Bialystok, pp. 175–179 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Hyks, P., Gaborlik, M., Vrona, O.: Schody (Stairs), Arkady, Warszawa (1984)Google Scholar
- 5.European Standard EN 115-1:2008 + A1: Safety of escalators and moving walks- Part 1: construction and installation (2010)Google Scholar