Conclusion: Nordic Noir Beyond the Nordic
In the Conclusion the authors sum up their findings with reference to different factors at play in the conceptual development of Nordic Noir and claim that four primary perspectives are necessary to decode the conceptual content of Nordic Noir: (a) a common press reference, (b) a brand name, (c) stylistic and narrative content, and (d) a locative concept. By referring to two recent television dramas, Valkyrien and Marcella, the authors conclude that the ‘Nordic’ in Nordic Noir is a very negotiable term which, when Nordic Noir travels as a style, has very little to do with geography and much more with stylistic content. They sum up by suggesting that an emotional turn of the spatial turn of media studies might inspire the further development of location studies.
- Ang, Ien. 1985. Watching Dallas: Soap Opera and the Melodramatic Imagination. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Broadcast. 2016. Hot Picks: Marcella. Broadcast, March 30. Accessed 15 Feb, 2017. http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/international/hot-picks-marcella/5101995.article.
- Cineflix Rights. 2016. Marcella. Accessed 27 Jan, 2017. http://www.cineflixrights.com/sections/1/shows/marcella?redirect_to_url=new_shows.
- Cooke. 2017. Cooke Anamorphic/i lenses and /i Technology bring Valkyrien to life. Accessed 26 Jan, 2017. www.cookeoptics.com/u/news.html?Open&v=99&c=1&y=99&d=EB24D0EB48B1A83F852580AB0064EE9C.
- Drama. 2017. What Makes Nordic Noir so Addictive? Accessed 15 Feb, 2017. http://drama.uktv.co.uk/wallander/article/nordic-noir-so-addictive/.
- Frost, Vicky. 2014. Hinterland: Nordic Noir Done the Welsh Way. The Guardian, 10 July. Accessed 27 Jan, 2017. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/jul/10/hinterland-box-set-review.
- Grodal, Torben. 2010. High on Crime and Detection. Projections 4 (2): 64–85.Google Scholar
- Martinéz, Alejandro G., and Ana Mart González. 2016. Emotional Culture and TV Narratives. In Emotions in Contemporary TV Series, ed. Alberto Garcia, 13–25. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Moss, Victoria. 2016. Why Marcella’s £535 Parka Coat is TV’s Latest Cult Fashion Item. The Telegraph, April 4, 2016. Accessed 27 Jan, 2017. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/why-marcellas-535-parka-coat-is-tvs-latest-cult-fashion-item/.
- Nelson, Robin. 2016. The Emergence of ‘Affect’ in Contemporary TV Fiction. In Emotions in Contemporary TV Series, ed. Alberto Garcia, 26–51. Basingstone: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Nielsen, Henrik Kaare. 2001. Kritisk teori og samfundsanalyse. Aarhus: Aarhus University Press.Google Scholar
- Nordic Noir and Beyond. 2016. “Marcella” Starts on ITV Next Week! Nordic Noir & Beyond, March 21. Accessed 27 Jan, 2017. http://nordicnoir.tv/news/marcella-starts-on-itv-next-week/.
- NRK. 2017. Valkyrien. Accessed 26 Jan, 2017. https://tv.nrk.no/serie/valkyrien.
- Slotte, Malin. 2017. Nordic noir går under jord. Hufvudstadsbladet, January 10. Accessed 26 Jan, 2017. https://www.hbl.fi/artikel/nordic-noir-gar-under-jord-2/.
- Tuan, Yi-Fu. 1974. Topophilia. A Study of Environmental Perception, Attitudes, and Values. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall Inc.Google Scholar
- Whittock, Jesse. 2016. Walter Presents Nabs New Nordic Noir. Television Business International, November 10. Accessed 26 Jan, 2017. http://tbivision.com/news/2016/11/walter-presents-nabs-new-nordic-noir/676332/.