Ensembles of Decision Trees for Recommending Touristic Items
This article analyzes the performance of ensembles of decision trees when applied to the task of recommending tourist items. The motivation comes from the fact that there is an increasing need to explain why a website is recommending some items and not others. The combination of decision trees and ensemble learning is therefore a good way to provide both interpretability and accuracy performance. The results demonstrate the superior performance of ensembles when compared to single decision tree approaches. However, basic colaborative filtering methods seem to perform better than ensembles in our dataset. The study suggests that the number of available features is a key aspect in order to get the true potential of this type of ensembles.
KeywordsEnsembles Decision trees Recomendations Tourism
This work has received financial support from the Ministry of Science and Innovation of Spain under grant TIN2014-56633-C3-1-R as well as from the Consellería de Cultura, Educación e Ordenación Universitaria (accreditation 2016–2019, ED431G/08) and the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
- 1.Ali, S., Tirumala, S.S., Sarrafzadeh, A.: Ensemble learning methods for decision making: status and future prospects. In: International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC), vol. 1, pp. 211–216. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Golbandi, N., Koren, Y., Lempel, R.: Adaptive bootstrapping of recommender systems using decision trees. In: Proceedings of the Fourth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, pp. 595–604. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Lavanya, D., Rani, K.U.: Ensemble decision making system for breast cancer data. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 51(17) (2012). Foundation of Computer ScienceGoogle Scholar
- 10.Quinlan, J.R.: Induction of decision trees. Mach. Learn. 1(1), 81–106 (1986)Google Scholar
- 11.Saavedra, P., Barreiro, P., Durán, R., Crujeiras, R., Loureiro, M., Sánchez, V.E.: Choice-based recommender systems. In: Proceedings of RecSys 2016, Boston (2016)Google Scholar